• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

GH Flora Series: Some peppers love it... some do not

Hello

I have some peppers growing in my text. Some are flourishing with GH Flora series but some seem to be struggling. They are being fed from the same mix which is currently (per gallon):
5 ml micro and grow
2-3 ml bloom and cal mag

I can take some pictures to show you but the ones that are in good shape are dark green and thick. The ones that are not have yellowing leaves that are falling with some new green growth.

The other option i think might be affecting these plants is potentially algae. The outer cups I was using were clear red which might have allowed green light through and so there is some algae growth. I’ve now moved them to green clear cups which should in theory block any photosynthesis.

Any ideas?

Thanks
 
I figured this should be a separate reply; could you send the pictures, it might be a micronutrient deficiency that the plants have, depending on stage of growth that the plants are in.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
 
KevinThePepperhead said:
Plants don't use green for photosynthesis, they use red and blue. The green light is the light that's reflected back and not absorbed by the plant leaves.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
I’m pretty sure the grow tents have a green window so if you want to have a look at night no light that plants respond to gets in.

01bbe084eced8b728b906076cc514b63.jpg
 
KevinThePepperhead said:
I figured this should be a separate reply; could you send the pictures, it might be a micronutrient deficiency that the plants have, depending on stage of growth that the plants are in.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Flourishing
f39a443a6de442a732f5260ab00eb097.jpg
 

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
I use  GH flora series as well and mix equal parts of 5ml in a gallon jug with cal mag and a teaspoon of Epsom Salts  ....I have had amazing success and only use the nutrients about every third watering when they are in the solo cups....some times too much is not a good thing.
 
Here is a pic of last seasons starts.
 
plants april 15 18.jpg
 

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
Sergeant Pepper said:
I’m doing every feeding and no epsom salt. Is that bad?
I would try doing every second feeding ....I am by far not an expert with nutrients ....but I have learned more is sometimes not better.
 
Sizzle Lips said:
I would try doing every second feeding ....I am by far not an expert with nutrients ....but I have learned more is sometimes not better.
I was doing that at first but some of the plant weren’t as happy and it seemed Khang Starr was doing it every feeding so I did.
 

CaneDog

Extreme Member
I'm thinking along the lines that with the double cup method there's a risk that certain salts from the nutes are building up in the soil, because there's no over-pour or pour-through to flush them away. Higher nute levels and/or over a longer time period would = higher risk.  If you haven't done so, perhaps pouring a very weak nute solution (like 1/16th) through the cups and causing good run-off might help by carrying away any concentrations.  Just an idea.
 
CaneDog said:
I'm thinking along the lines that with the double cup method there's a risk that certain salts from the nutes are building up in the soil, because there's no over-pour or pour-through to flush them away. Higher nute levels and/or over a longer time period would = higher risk.  If you haven't done so, perhaps pouring a very weak nute solution (like 1/16th) through the cups and causing good run-off might help by carrying away any concentrations.  Just an idea.
I’ve been doing almost 100% bottom feeding so maybe a no nut water feeding from the top makes lots of sense.
 
Top