• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ghost of Carolina

Odd name for a pepper eh?  Ok here is the history and results. I cross pollinated the Ghost and Carolina Reaper pepper last year and really did not expect much if anything. I saved the seeds as we all do and planted these in the spring here in upstate New York. This plant never reached over 14-18 inches in height. It produced a lot of peppers that seemed to turn a bright red far faster than the usual. Short peppers around 2 inches but very fat. The taste: That unmistakable Ghost pepper taste and then the heat explodes in your mouth. Your face gets numb, ears tingle, sweat begins on your face. I grow peppermint so when the heat was unbearable I ate some peppermint.
Great taste, awesome heat. Very compact plant. I am in the process of registering this new plant with the federal government website under the name Ghost of Carolina. I will post pictures later of the plant, peppers.
Harvesting seeds and will have those available for anyone interested.

Thanks!

Sounds very interesting. Pictures would be awesome. Congratulations on your success. And will be waitimg for the seeds to become available.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, awesome work! Which generation are you on by now? I'd potentially love some seeds too :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Its near the end of my growing season and I have been harvesting seeds. I will have plenty to share with you guys. One interesting thing I did this year was my watering and fertilizer. I had always heard that Ghost peppers prefer less water than other plants and get hotter that way. My method I used was the following: My plants are in 5 gallon buckets. I watered each day with 2 gallons of water. My fertilizer: I used a brand of soil that Lowes has called "Sta Green". I added chicken manure, coffee/tea grounds weekly. I also used the JR Peters 20-20-20 fertilizer weekly. Once per 2 weeks I mixed a gallon of water with 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt. I also mixed lime in a 3 gallon bucket and made a slurry and mixed that in the soil. I have 10 very healthy, very productive Ghost pepper plants, loaded daily with those delicious devils! Heat: They are extremley hot! In fact hotter than last years!  Best description would be the initial taste is great, the heat begins at back of mouth, throat and radiates to your face, ears. You begin to sweat, the heat intensifies.WHOA!! This was a test to see the outcome and I surely will follow this every year now.

My next project is Hydroponic peppers. I already have the buckets, nutrient mix, air pumps, lines, net pots, media. I have done tomatoes this way but never peppers.
What am I doing with all these peppers? Dehydrating, pickeling some, roasting some over hickory wood in my smoker ( They are awesome this way).

Back