• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

snack-food Ghost Pepper Chex Mix!

Hmmm, it seems that this is a "Ghost Pepper flavor" mix. I see no actual Ghost pepper, or even Jalapeno pepper, in this product. The closest thing I see in the ingredient list is Paprika extract :rolleyes:https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chex-Mix-Snack-Mix-Ghost-Pepper/817949717

So I'm not sure where this product is getting its heat from, but any "Ghost pepper" product that contains no actual Ghost pepper whatsoever is automatically a fail in my book. It seems like they just slapped a big "Ghost Pepper" banner on the bag as a marketing gimmick. Meh.

Ingredients: Whole Wheat, Degermed Yellow Corn Meal, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Canola, and/or Rice Bran), Sugar. Contains 2% or less of: Salt, Spices, Maltodextrin, Rye Flour, Dextrose, Dried Garlic, Yeast, Yeast Extract, Dried Onion, Paprika Extract (Color), Distilled Monoglycerides, Baking Soda, Trisodium Phosphate, Yellow Corn Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Citric Acid, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color, Barley Malt Syrup. Freshness Preserved by BHT

Today I was out shopping when I saw the bag. I considered putting on a glove to eat it, but chose not to. It doesn't taste at all like ghost pepper. This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder how they can get away with it legally.

BlackFatalii said:
Hmmm, it seems that this is a "Ghost Pepper flavor" mix. I see no actual Ghost pepper, or even Jalapeno pepper, in this product. The closest thing I see in the ingredient list is Paprika extract :rolleyes:https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chex-Mix-Snack-Mix-Ghost-Pepper/817949717

So I'm not sure where this product is getting its heat from, but any "Ghost pepper" product that contains no actual Ghost pepper whatsoever is automatically a fail in my book. It seems like they just slapped a big "Ghost Pepper" banner on the bag as a marketing gimmick. Meh.

Ingredients: Whole Wheat, Degermed Yellow Corn Meal, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Canola, and/or Rice Bran), Sugar. Contains 2% or less of: Salt, Spices, Maltodextrin, Rye Flour, Dextrose, Dried Garlic, Yeast, Yeast Extract, Dried Onion, Paprika Extract (Color), Distilled Monoglycerides, Baking Soda, Trisodium Phosphate, Yellow Corn Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Citric Acid, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color, Barley Malt Syrup. Freshness Preserved by BHT
Nah you missed it! The ghost pepper is obviously in the natural flavor, which is the 17th ingredient of the "2% or less" category :rofl:

But seriously though, that's terrible that they would market them falsely just because the ghost pepper is famous. I looked all over the package and product info, and nowhere does it even mention how much - if there is any - ghost pepper in it. That's a 100% fail if I ever saw one.

Back