• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Ghost pepper disappointment

Had my first ever super hot pepper, it was a dried chocolate ghost. To my surprise the pepper was not as hot as I thought it would be and found it to be quite enjoyable. Is this normal, and if so any recommendations for another super hot to try.

JustLikeNapalm said:
Is it hotter when it is fresh? The taste was good, the heat was the only disappointment.

Flavors come through better when it's fresh. Dried also seems rougher on the stomach.

Could be that you had a not so hot cross as I've never heard of a true Red Ghost/ Bhut Jolokia being disappointing in the Heat department. 

There's lots of ghost crosses and variants out there that aren't as hot. 

solid7 said:
Sounds like smack talk to me.  Post up a video of yourself eating a fresh ghost pepper...  If it's not hot enough, rub it in your eyes, and yell, "KICK ME IN THE JIMMY!"

I just read this out loud to "Mrs. Pain", and she lost it.

When I bought ghost peppers from my local grocery, it had red and chocolate with yellow in the same box. The red and chocolates were hot, but the yellows were so mild I couldn't believe they were really ghosts.

I guess I forgot to recommend another Super hot, I'd go with a Red Brain Strain or a 7 Pot of some sort. They're tasty peppers 

Inedible said:
When I bought ghost peppers from my local grocery, it had red and chocolate with yellow in the same box. The red and chocolates were hot, but the yellows were so mild I couldn't believe they were really ghosts.

I'm not sure about that stark of a contrast, but in my experience yellows are on the more mild side. I've had yellow Nagabrains not much hotter than a hab

Go for a Chocolate Brain Strain, Chocolate Moruga or Chocolate Scorpion. All very heavy hitters that will not disappoint. I've never had a yellow or red get me like a good quality brown Trinidad pepper does. Ghost peppers just don't stack up unless hybridized with a Trinidad Pepper like in the Bhutlah or Primo. Even then I get a feeling that the Trinidad is getting watered down to some extent. Trinidad and Tobago all day long. Search for fresh superhot pods and try some out yourself...they are now in season.

I'm growing red, yella, and Choco Brainstrains this year... Maybe I'll end up with a box's worth by the end of the summer?? The Choco is new to me, but I grew Reds and yellas last year. Yella Brainstrains were as hot as I've had as far as yellow pods go, but not too bad. The Red Brains really kicked the shit out of me, though...

solid7 said:
Sounds like smack talk to me.  Post up a video of yourself eating a fresh ghost pepper...  If it's not hot enough, rub it in your eyes, and yell, "KICK ME IN THE JIMMY!"
Agree video or didnt happen lol! Plus how could anyone enjoy eating a dried pepper of any type by itself

Ghaleon said:
What about the taste is bad? Too floral?

I wouldn't describe any chocolate that I've tasted as "floral".  I'm no connoisseur of anything, and I find that most of the time when people use their descriptions, I can't relate - so take it for what's it's worth.  I had a French wine once that was supposed to be "jammy, with hints of berries and residual tannins."  But in my mouth, it came across more like tobacco and stinky feet, with notes of astringency.
Let's just say it like this...  on my palate, the flavor seems to match the color.  Taste is subjective.

I am growing the choco brains mostly b/c they look cool and i need somethin' to scare neighborhood kids with.  I haven't tried chocolate brainstrain yet, but i have despised the flavor or every freschocolate pod i have ever tried.  Some ppl love the choco flavor and describe it as "earthy," but to my palate, choco pods have an acrid taste that pretty much just makes me sad, b/c i want to love these evil brown/black/chocolate pods... but i just don't.  

Back