Ghost Pepper Plant Flowers No Pollen

Hello all. 2 months ago I purchased an aprox. 2' tall Ghost Pepper Plant. After about 3 weeks of watering, 5 Peppers began to grow. After that, nothing. The peppers have grown exponentially, but no other peppers have spouted. I've been trying to self pollinate the plant every morning by shaking the plant. From what I am to believe, after shaking, there are suppose to be light pollen near the flowers, but there is none. I've also been rubbing the inside of the flower lightly with a cotton swab to no avail.

The plant has grown about a foot since and sprout a ridiculous amount of flowers regularly. It seems very healthy for the most part. The leaves are a nice dark green with a number of them having Leaf Miner marks. I water the plant 3 qts whenever the top 1" of soil is dry. The plant gets morning-afternoon sun but none during the hottest part of the day. Could I be doing something wrong? Any help is much appreciated.

PLANT LOCATION: Outdoor
TEMP: Mid 90's - Low 100's
POT: 5 Gallon
WATERING: 3 QT's when top 1" is dry (NOT BONE DRY)

urrjay said:
Hello all. 2 months ago I purchased an aprox. 2' tall Ghost Pepper Plant. After about 3 weeks of watering, 5 Peppers began to grow. After that, nothing. The peppers have grown exponentially, but no other peppers have spouted. I've been trying to self pollinate the plant every morning by shaking the plant. From what I am to believe, after shaking, there are suppose to be light pollen near the flowers, but there is none. I've also been rubbing the inside of the flower lightly with a cotton swab to no avail.

The plant has grown about a foot since and sprout a ridiculous amount of flowers regularly. It seems very healthy for the most part. The leaves are a nice dark green with a number of them having Leaf Miner marks. I water the plant 3 qts whenever the top 1" of soil is dry. The plant gets morning-afternoon sun but none during the hottest part of the day. Could I be doing something wrong? Any help is much appreciated.

I'm thinking daytime temp too high. What are night time temps?......

Another member here has posted this numerous times:

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

urrjay said:

TheNECM nailed it, its just to hot right now, All of my plants are doing the same. June-Aug is tough on pollination and fruit set for both peppers and tomatoes. Keep them alive and by next month should start seeing pods set again with hopefully enough time to ripen before frost. Anytime we get the sustained temps of 100+ things just struggle.  

Also, be careful rubbing the flower with a cotton swap if you aren't already.  It's very easy to damage the pistil using a q-tip.  Most varieties self-pollinate very effectively when conditions are right.  A small soft-bristled paint brush used gently is my weapon of choice for general pollination purposes plus I'll shake them from time to time too like you're doing.

Thanks everyone. My night temperature is mid to high 60s. Would bringing the plant indoors be a bad idea?

urrjay said:
Thanks everyone. My night temperature is mid to high 60s. Would bringing the plant indoors be a bad idea?

Wont make a difference. Its still too hot during the day for successful fruit set. Flowers sure, but you'll have a tough time getting pollination regardless. My plants that were put out earlier season are loaded with pods waiting to ripen, but the ones that were planted later were only able to set a few initially until the summer heat set in. You really should see a difference in the coming weeks as things begin to cool though. I'm in Sacramento also by the way.  

NorCaliente916 Sacramento? Snap world!! Thanks for the tips. I'll be patient and ride it out until the weather starts to cool. You'll be my go-to member now lol

Its the lack of pollen that is disturbing. There is nothing pollen-wise. Is absolute sterility a possibilty. always the super hots, ive noticed. i am trying these tips.

JfgE6Ce.gif

Mark MacChilli said:
Its the lack of pollen that is disturbing. There is nothing pollen-wise. Is absolute sterility a possibilty. always the super hots, ive noticed. i am trying these tips.

3 things.....

1.) You're suppose to start a new thread to introduce yourself.
2.) If you don't use the "Quote" button to reply, as I did, the person you're helping won't get a notification, as you did.
3.) The OP hasn't been back in quite some time.

Untitled2.jpg

Back