• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Ghost Pepper Recipe Recommendations

Newbie Tom here ... looking for some recipe recommendations. 

I have Ghost Peppers (red, brown, white) coming out of my ears and also some Carolina Reapers.  What are some recommended recipes for these megahots? 

I am fully aware that some here on the forum sell their sauces so rest assured that I am not trying to do some corporate espionage ... but hopefully there are a few here who make sauces for their own consumption from favorite recipes they are willing to share.

FYI I do have one of my own for the ghost pepper I found online. It has cilantro, mayonnaise, and sour cream, and the heat can be dialed from 1 to 10. One source said it came from Peru.  Given the ingredients it is certainly not for those watching their weight!  I can upload the details if there is interest.  See photo below.

Attachments

• Ghost Pepper Sauce - Copy.jpg
    Ghost Pepper Sauce - Copy.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 94
This was mine from last year. The mystery pepper was hotter than bonnet but probably under ghost in heat. They looked like nagas. I went with a "Indian themed" sauce. It made 2 5oz woozies and was pretty hot without being insane.

7 Ghost peppers
4 Mystery peppers
1 MOA red bonnet
1 Bell of Gollu...sweet small bell type pepper
1 Golf ball size red shallot
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp Cumin seed, Black mustard seed and heaping 1/2 tsp coriander seed because its more bulky
1/2 tsp sea salt (heaping)
5 tbs of the cook down water strained
3 tbs ACV
1 tbs lime juice

BDASPNY said:
now that's an interesting sauce. how's the flavor?

The flavor?  Very unique and very good.  There is no preservative and it didn't seem to keep well refrigerated past a week or so.  But fresh out of the blender, still warm, it is an absolutely awesome sauce! 

And it doesn't need ghost peppers.  Just about anything will do, although I would recommend against habaneros because of the citrus flavor it would add. 

Easy to make, too.  It's better creamy than thick.  Great with steaks and also just as a dip.

Ingredients
1 bunch cilantro (remove stems without leaves)
3 ghost chile peppers, stemmed and peppers chopped, or to taste
2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and peppers chopped
6 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 lime, juiced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 drizzle olive oil

Prep 10 m
Ready In 10 m

Combine cilantro, ghost chile peppers, jalapeno peppers, sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and garlic in a food processor; process until sauce is smooth.
Taste sauce and season with salt and pepper. Add olive oil and blend until smooth and creamy.

I dont add any oils to hot sauce i plan to keep around awhile. It does however brighten the color a huge amount when you blend it. Very pretty when used in a jala sauce that turned a darker olive green during the cook down. Blend it up with some oil and it instantly turns a bright green.

Derelict said:

The flavor?  Very unique and very good.  There is no preservative and it didn't seem to keep well refrigerated past a week or so.  But fresh out of the blender, still warm, it is an absolutely awesome sauce! 

And it doesn't need ghost peppers.  Just about anything will do, although I would recommend against habaneros because of the citrus flavor it would add. 

Easy to make, too.  It's better creamy than thick.  Great with steaks and also just as a dip.

Ingredients
1 bunch cilantro (remove stems without leaves)
3 ghost chile peppers, stemmed and peppers chopped, or to taste
2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and peppers chopped
6 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 lime, juiced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 drizzle olive oil
Prep 10 m
Ready In 10 m

Combine cilantro, ghost chile peppers, jalapeno peppers, sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and garlic in a food processor; process until sauce is smooth.
Taste sauce and season with salt and pepper. Add olive oil and blend until smooth and creamy.

ill have to try that out thanks.

Hatfield said:
Thank you for that recipe.  I havent tried anything close to that before, but I feel like that might be an awesome aioli substitue for fish tacos.  

I just made two batches, one mild and one exactly as I posted.  It is most delicious if eaten within a couple days, and it makes about one Mason jar (16 oz).  A mild version might have two jalapenos;  the fiery version will have the three ghosts and 2 jalapenos.  The fiery version is yummy but it will make your head sweat.  The good news is that you can dial the hotness from 0 to 10 and it doesn't affect the flavor at all.

Back