• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Ghost Peppers turning mustard color

I did some searching on the internet before posting here. I can't find any ghost pepper varieties that are a mustard color, but I seem to have some. These have been on the vine for a long time and I don't have much faith that they are going to turn any other color. Anyone seen something like this before? My guess is that this is the result of some cross-pollination, but just wondering what others thought.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 123
kanikedude03 said:
I did some searching on the internet before posting here. I can't find any ghost pepper varieties that are a mustard color, but I seem to have some. These have been on the vine for a long time and I don't have much faith that they are going to turn any other color. Anyone seen something like this before? My guess is that this is the result of some cross-pollination, but just wondering what others thought.

Did you search here @THP?

Mustard ghost and an unidentified pepper
Dale's Ghost Scorpion F4 Chocolate (Mustard Yellow)

Chorizo857_62J said:
My experience with my Red Bhuts is that they typically turn an orange hue before going fire-engine red.  Wait it out and see what you get?
I have several Red Bhut plants. They have all transitioned to the bright red that you speak of within a few days once they start to turn a different color. These are somewhere around 3 weeks of being the color that they are (which is different than their original color. I'll leave them on a bit longer though and see if any additional color change happens. I'll report back with my findings! 

These really didn't turn any further. Some of the pods are so soft that they have turned mushy and started to rot, so I went ahead and picked several. Here is a picture. I still don't know the variety but they seem to be pretty darn hot and have a good taste to them.

Attachments

• 20191023_173246 (1).jpg
    20191023_173246 (1).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 99
kanikedude03 said:
These really didn't turn any further. Some of the pods are so soft that they have turned mushy and started to rot, so I went ahead and picked several. Here is a picture. I still don't know the variety but they seem to be pretty darn hot and have a good taste to them.

4th from the top looks like a dill pickle!!!

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

The THP search engine not the best I've used but I found a few workarounds. I know Bike mentioned the GOOGLE search help thingy, is there a specific way to do this?]

TIA!

Yeah, just go to google.com and in the search box, type whatever you want to search thehotpepper for followed by site:http://thehotpepper.com and you should be all set. For instance if you wanted to search for blah you would type the following in the search box:
blah site:http://thehotpepper.com

I actually work in the profession of cybersecurity and they call some of these advanced operators Google Dorking or Google Hacking. You can find more information and more advanced operators that google understands here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_hacking

I love Mustard pods, you lucked out with that color mutation unless it wasnt a mutation.  I would take mustard over red any day of the week. 

Edit:

I forgot to add, about 3-4 yrs ago I grew Cappacino Naga's which looked similar.  Honestly they look more like Naga to me than Ghost peppers, I like Naga better than straight up Ghost Assam and etc.  Include Naga in your search and I think you will find your variety or get you close. 

cheers

After going through old pictures and comparing I am 90% sure these are Mustard King Naga's.   Fantastic pepper, I am very fond of of the Yellow King Naga as well.  The Yellow is easily one of the best tasting peppers I have ever eaten.  The KIng Naga's are decent producers, but I like varieties that produce more that is why I only grow occasionally. 

Back