• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Ghosts Haunting My Cabinet

I like to play at making seasoning mixes. Sometimes a seasoned salt, sometimes a seasoned pepper. 

Last year I grew ghosts, and my seasoned pepper supply was almost out, so I pulled a jar of "ghost flake" out of the cabinet and ground it fine along with the typical SPOG.

My first tasting impression was, No pepper. But you know how the hots can be; after about 15 seconds I began to become aware, and after 30 seconds I was "fully involved" as the firefighters say.  The burn did not ease up much for 20 minutes or so.

I blended ingredients until the shaker jar was full, and there isn't room for more.  I should explain: I start with the empty jar, then begin to add the ingredients.This much salt, this much pepper, this much garlic, etc., kind of like making a sand painting in the jar.  When the jar is full, there's my batch size limit. Then I pour it into a measuring cup, mix, and grind it in batches.

Later, once I've used up enough to make some room in the jar, I want to add some jalapeno powder just to have some quick, bright heat to kick immediately like a mouthful of firecrackers before the asteroid impact

Being slow, it's not quite suited for finger foods that are gone in a few moments. It's better for something you'll settle into for a while, like a chili or a stew.  Used in VERY SMALL amounts, it can make a nice long background glow.

I do the same thing! I use a dehydrator and a food processor to dry and powder them and it is still almost always too hot for the layperson to even fathom. I get the whole garden involved as well. Growing onions and garlic I can also dry and grind them as well. Parsley, thyme and sage are for mixtures too, and can easily be fresh dried straight from the garden.But as it sits right now, they are stil 65% Jal, Hab, Ghost, and chili peppers, so it is damn hot, just a little pinch will do lol

Hab_Nut said:
I didn't even touch the Reapers I dried this year. They wait until the Ordained Time. 
 Just ordered reaper seeds yesterday, supposed to be at the house the 29th. Gonna be my first go with the reapers, so I am very excited! I also make chili with my all the peppers/vegetables/herbs above, and including my own tomatoes and corn. A nice sweet and spicy turnout usually. 

Back