• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground Giant Jalapeño bearing small round fruit

All,

Planted a giant jalapeño plant last year and it had amazing fruit that was gigantic to me at least dark green and 4 to 6 inches long. Near the end of the season the fruit became smaller and almost round and purple! We live in a warm climate with mild winters so I left the 6 foot plant growing without trimming. I has many peppers on it but all smaller like the end of last season. I have been growing a few peppers for the last few years and never seen this before. Hoping someone could comment. Maybe this is a hybrid plant. It is a Bonnies Mammoth Jalapeño plant. It get lots of water and sun and we have thousands of bees in the backyard but they are all on our lavender bushes. I thought maybe it was a pollination issue???

Rob

Here is a picture when it was about 3 feet (tall 1 meter) last year before bearing.

Attachments

• DSC09473.jpeg
    DSC09473.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 322
I see those small/roundish early pods commonly on certain varieties of jalapeno when the plant first starts producing outdoors in the early season - with normal sized pods following the early little ones.  I've seen the same things with some other varieties too - including a Chinense I overwintered this year - but have really noticed it in jalapenos.  I've attributed it to young/smaller plants, but given your experience of seeing it at both ends of the season, perhaps cooler temperatures and even shorter day lengths may have an effect, with the plant putting less energy each pod to just to get something ripe.  Based on what I've seen myself, I'd expect pods setting in the heat of summer to be back to normal.

Dear pepperhead friends!

I'm in Southern California and I love peppers but I have a continuing question that maybe you can help me with. Everything I read says peppers should grow back every year but it seems like I only get one good season out of each one of my plants. The giant jalapeño above grew to be 6 feet tall and had very good large size peppers on it. After the season was over I trimmed it back. It has a few little baby leaves on it now but it doesn't look like it's gonna grow much. The same thing happens with my serrano and jalapeño peppers in my front yard. Anyway I wanted some of your ideas. I really don't like pulling out plants and replanting new ones, but it seems like I'm only getting one years worth of fruit off of a plant before it just stops growing. I'm using good organic soil watering regularly fertilizing a bit the plants gets lots of sun. Of course it hasn't rained here in 15 years.....

What's your water like?

Had the soil tested?

Funny, I've got a Zapotec jalapeño in a fabric pot I overwintered that's throwing few and small fruit, not growing much. It got a good compost layer at the beginning of the season and has had a few doses of hydro juice.

Last edited:
We have some of the best soil in the world here but I've also added organic soil mix. I haven't given up but it seems like every time I prune back a pepper plant it never makes it..

I'm thinking of growing giant jalapenos next year - does the flavour and heat compare to normal sized jalapeno?

Tinkerbelle,

I think they are about The same. I have two growing now in my backyard and I use them for guacamole but also grilling on the barbecue. Personally my favorite chili is a Serrano pepper I liked that best in guacamole or any other Mexican dish that I normally make they seem like they have more flavor I think that the heats just perfect for me.

OK so the plant that I pictured above here's what happened with that, I trimmed it back a little bit last year (it was 6 feet tall) and other than a few little green sprouts that are only half an inch big, it's never really grown out at all. Everyone says that these chilies will last many years but I can't seem to get one plant to last more than one year or two. And remember it never gets cold here so I'm not sure what's going on...it also never rains.......

Back