Giant Mexican Rocoto

In next season i want to grow that one since probably i'll place an order to Judy.
I've never experienced rocoto except a Red Rocoto plant that i bought last year and dind't set any pod in spite of growing well so i hope to have some this one.
Giant Mexican Rocoto seems spectacular.

Any advices?
In particular:
  1. Is germination similar to other peppers and is best at 80-85F? It's longer than superhots?
  2. When the plant is sprouted it requires many hours of light at day (let's say 16 at least)? And the best temp for growing ath the first stages?
  3. After 1-2 months when i have to repot it still requires much light to grow?
  4. When fully grown is like Red Rocoto that doesn't need much light and it's best if it's not too hot?
  5. Is it slow to grow and requires much time to have ripe pods?
Thanks.
Sorry if it has already been debated but i couldn't find much about that pepper (nor to mention that i'm really unexperienced with pubecens).

Yes, rocotos can be finicky. Germination can take longer, but don't need to be any hotter or colder than other chile seeds. Rocotos do like a LOT of sun and will flourish and flower like a firework going off, but not produce pods if it's too hot outside. There are many theories on this, the best one I've found so far is that they don't like their roots getting too hot. But some seem to have success in spite of heat, so I don't know. I usually get pods very late in the season, so grow in pots so I can bring them into the house to let the pods ripen on the plants. Best wishes for a successful grow!

Thanks g!
On another thread (i don't remember which nor wich type of rocoto they were speaking about) i read that it did well taking Sun just on the morning, just to say. I believed they despise lots of Sun.
On a vase it can be really tricky to have non hot roots and much Sun and i don't have a good place to plant that on ground. I have a full Sun place where supers grows nice but i suppose it's way too hot (also on winter it's too cold so it will die).

I have a couple of these Giant Mexican Rocotos growing for this year (seeds from Judy). I'll put more specific photos in my glog as the season progresses since I see that you are interested.

Jeff H said:
I have a couple of these Giant Mexican Rocotos growing for this year (seeds from Judy). I'll put more specific photos in my glog as the season progresses since I see that you are interested.
Thanks, that's really appreciated!

I am also growing Giant Mexican Rocotos that I got from Judy. They didn't seem to take any longer to sprout than any other pepper seed. The seeds were placed in jiffy peat pellets and then in small rubber maid containers on top of the fridge. I had a 90% germination rate.

I too have read ,since I've been here,  that  Pubescents ie. rocoto, locoto, manzano and the like Can or Can NOT take the sun.  Some can some can't.   So would seem logical  that those that say "their plants like the sun" are referring  to their own unique  growing experience.  Same goes for those who say they do not like the sun.   

I grew this last season and is grew very very well, but was late to set pods. Didn't get any fruit until mid October when temperature cooled off.

If you get really hot and humid weather in the summer (here in Japan around 40c plus very high humidity) then you might have to consider a shade of some sort.

Thanks, all.
Here it's quite hot (can reach 37°C on hotter days) and high humidity.
Last year has been exceptionally rainy and not much hot, stil Red Rocoto didn't set anything. I kept it under a shadow tree but probably in the morning and in the evening it caught direct light.

Streamer said:
I too have read ,since I've been here,  that  Pubescents ie. rocoto, locoto, manzano and the like Can or Can NOT take the sun.  Some can some can't.   So would seem logical  that those that say "their plants like the sun" are referring  to their own unique  growing experience.  Same goes for those who say they do not like the sun.   
I've lived in Houston, the Los Angeles region and now the Cleveland area. Plus I have spent much time traveling in other areas. Your statement that it depends upon each unique growing experience is basically correct. It is the totality of factors that must be considered:

- Houston: It's hot and humid most of the year and temperatures don't really drop at night. The plants still need sunlight and lots of it, but the heat combined with direct sun can be too much for them. Therefore, filtered sunlight is better. One has to remember that light reflects, as well - even under a shade cloth the plants under it are getting reflected light in addition to whatever percent makes it through the shade cloth. 
- Los Angeles: More moderate weather than Houston, with periods of high heat and humidity that don't last quite as long. Also, it does usually cool down at night. even on the hottest days. Because of these factors, most plants can tolerate more direct sunlight, or at least can take a lower percentage of shade cloth.
- Cleveland: It's cold to cool most of the year and temperatures can drop significantly at night. Truly "hot" days are limited - as compared to Houston and Los Angeles (people here whine and complain if it gets over 80F, it seems.) Plants need as much direct sunlight as possible most days. This is often difficult when both the Spring and the Fall are cool to cold and wet. 
- Phoenix: It's hot and bone-dry most of the year and temperatures can yo-yo at night. Growing here is closest to Houston in that direct sun combined with the heat can be too much for the plants. Filtered sun is definitely best here.

Studies show that production is highest when plants get at least 6 hours of sunlight a day. But notice that's not necessarily direct sun, depending on the heat and humidity ini a given area.  Additionally, different varieties seem to need more or less than others. I've grown annuums, baccatuums, chinense, and pubescens here in OH. The pubescens seem to require more sunlight than the other types as a general rule of thumb. My back porch, where I grow in containers, is not covered but does get shade from both my house and the neighbors' houses at various times of the day and more or less depending on how early or late it is in the grow season. Some types do ok if I leave them close to the house - they tolerate the shade much better. Some types I pull away from the house to reduce the amount of shade they get. Note that even those in the shade get reflected light, but they don't get filtered light. The pubescens get pulled away from the house as they tend not to even flower if they're shaded too long each day. Hence, I say they need more light. If I was growing them in Houston or Phoenix, I'd definitely be using a high percentage shade cloth with them so they would get both reflected and filtered light. The annuums I've grown, on the other hand, seem to tolerate the shade much better and happily flower and fruit even though I leave them up against the house.

Back