• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Gingerbread

I did some experimenting with a gingerbread recipe today. This is the process I followed today, but I will probably try again without the temperature adjustment at some point later. I can't get a good pic right now, but will try again tomorrow during the day, if there's any left at that point. 

In a medium bowl, mix together:
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp ground ginger
1-1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp chipotle chile powder

In a small bowl, melt in the microwave then let cool a bit:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup water

Stir into the butter and water:
1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg, slightly beaten

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Heat the oven to 325F.

Line an 8” square pan with foil (leave some foil over the edges), generously spray with no-stick spray, then fill with batter. Bake on a middle rack 15 minutes, then rotate the pan front to back. Note the batter will still be pretty wet at this point. Increase heat to 350F then bake another 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan 10 minutes then, using the overhanging foil, remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

This is nice and moist, with a lighter texture than is yielded from the original recipe. I've got another couple of tweaks in mind already and will post when I make it again. One of those tweaks whispers "rum", but I'm not sure if I'll go there or not. We shall see!

2l9KvTc.jpg

did someone say RUM in a CAKE?
Mmmmmm! 

I do like the sound of gingerbread with chipotle.  Hope you can post pics.

edit- knew there was an archived recipe around here somewhere~~  :lol:

Hahahaha - I remember that recipe! That was the BEST post EVER! 

No pics today - I'll blame the accident and laziness - can't get a steady pic and don't feel like digging out the tripod. Fuzzy pics of gingerbread somehow manage to make it look like oddly rectangular poop. Pics when I make it again, though. 

And yes, let's re-RUM!  :rofl:

Back