• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

indoor Gnats on indoor plants

I let my plant outside for a day and next thing I know I have gnats living on the Growstones I put on top of my soil. I've been crushing whatever I can with my thumb and I used a fan to blow them off and a spray bottle with a drop of soap in it but not much has worked as well as just crushing them. Anything I can do other than spraying some more aggressive pesticides? I'm not up for bleaching my soil.

For the mature adults I used those hanging fly paper traps and caught hundreds if not thousands. I had them REALLY bad! 

Fly ribbons

2.jpg

SciurusDoomus said:
I was thinking about Mosquito Dunks... Will they interfere with the other bacteria in the soil?
Shouldn't interfere too much since they're an aquatic type that need a host, different life cycles etc.

I'll pick up some dunks and some strips and get to work! I need to get them clean before I move my two pots into a dorm closet. It's one thing to kill one pot's worth of gnats. I'd hate to have to kill two pots worth.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Do a quick search for fungal gnats on the forum and you will find tons of suggestions. Most important keep the top layer of soil dry.
I was thinking this too buy my pots have a built in overflow base built into the pot so I don't have the option of bottom-watering at the moment. I've been squishing them but mostly using a wand-like, grill lighter. Hope I got them.

They got to my Morich, which I had outside, so I brought it inside and am trying to kill most/all of them over the next day or two then they will be in a controlled environment. They also got to one of my Dorsets.

Back