• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Gnats

So I just noticed a ton of little gnats on my outdoor container plants. I don't know if they are fungus gnats exactly but they look like fruitflies. Some have little white bodies. Sorry I can't take any pics of them, not helpful I know...
Should I be concerned about them? My plants are just starting to flower. Eventually I'd like to over winter some plants so I hope not to bring any flies in.

Thanks for the expertise.

yeah they don't hurt mature plants too much.
but i would still sprinkle some mosquito bits around because they are annoying lol
or just wait and hopefully some predator will find them and chomp chomp

Ok I googled some pictures and I think they definitely look more like a fruit fly. Which is weird cuz they're outside on the deck. Nothing really around them. I've got a few resident spiders hanging out munching some of them, but there are a lot of little flies and they're definitely mating

I put about a inch of fine sand on the top of my soil.  I haven't seen a fungus gnat since.  I either killed them or they are living under the sand lol.  I was told sand works or diatemaceous earth.  This is my first year growing though so don't take my word for it.

Also try to let the top 1 inch or so dry between watering, if it turns out to be fungus gnats, this can help control their population a lot.

Back