food Goan Gosht Curry - Curried Beef Stew with Potatoes, Shallots, and Malt Vinegar

This is an absolutely fantastic dish! It's not hot, but it does have a mild warmth that hits the back of the throat after each bite. The flavors tend to roll across the tongue. Also because it uses stewing beef, it's cheap to make.

Serve with either crusty bread or on a bed of white rice.

----------------

Ingredients:

1 pound boneless beef (chuck or "stew meat"), cut into 1" cubes

1 tsp ground cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp ground turmeric

8 oz (1 large) russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1" cubes.

2 tsp oil (your choice, I used Olive)

4 green or white cardamom pods

2 fresh or dried bay leaves

2 cinnamon sticks (each 3" long)

4 oz shallots, thinly sliced (I cut them lengthwise)

2 tsp cumin seeds, ground

2 tsp coriander seeds, ground

1 can (13.5 oz) unsweetened coconut milk

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes - or just dice regular tomatoes yourself

1/4 cup malt vinegar

2 tsp coarse kosher or sea salt, to taste

2 TBSP finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems for garnishing

-----------------

Preparation:

1. Cut the meat into 1" cubes. Toss the beef in a medium-sized bowl with the cayenne and turmeric and mix. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 30 minutes or as long as overnight. The turmeric will tenderize the meat so the longer you leave it the more tender the meat curry.

2. Peel and chop potatoes into 1" cubes, slice the onions.

3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cardamom pods, bay leaves, and cinnamon sticks. Cook until they sizzle and are aromatic, 5-10 seconds.

4. Toss in the beef, shallots, and potatoes. Stir fry until the beef is seared and the shallots and potatoes are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.

5. Sprinkle in the cumin and coriander, and continue to stir fry for about 2 minutes.

6. Pour in the coconut milk, tomatoes with their juices, vinegar, and salt. Stir once or twice to deglaze the skillet, releasing any collected bits of spice and shallots.

7. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally and gently, until the beef cubes are very tender when cut with a fork. The potatoes should be tender but still firm, and the sauce thick. About 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours**.

8. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve.

------------------

** I simmered the dish, uncovered for 30 minutes before it was done. I wanted to reduce the liquid and have a thicker sauce.

NOTE: Do not eat the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods or the bay leaves. I left a cinnamon stick on the picture for appearances sake.

CurriedBeefStewwithPotatoesShallots.jpg

Neil

rainbowberry said:
I'd eat three plates of that, it's a starter really but it looks fantastic.

Yea, it's pretty easy to put away a couple of plates like this one. It isn't the typical serving size, but I've had to cut back on my portions and salt intake :(. High blood pressure and more than a few lbs overweight... Dropped 13 lbs since January though and got my blood pressure back under control without having to be medicated :woohoo:. The best part is since I found Indian foods I didn't have to force myself to eat crappy bland foods. I REALLY like to eat :lol:

Neil

I've had Bhuna Gosht (Ghost). This looks similar or the same.

Back