Gofundme campaign to get our farm running

Hello myself and my wife have found a piece of property and are in the early stages of starting a farm. Peppers will be one aspect, but not the only one. I want to be supplying local farm to table and high end restaurants with organic vegetables, and on a small level supply some sauce makers with bulk peppers, and specifically varieties they cannot find currently. I want to start a breeding project as well to create new varieties, among other things I will be doing. I would really appreciate all who would donate, or share my page on facebook or twitter or anywhere else. Here is the link to it.

https://www.gofundme.com/hotpepperaaron

Thanks for sharing your dream with us Aaron!  I wish you the best of luck and hope you can do this.  I probably should not say anything, but I hope I can help a little.  Please take this with a grain of salt since I have only invested in a couple startups, etc.

Since I don't know you at all, my first impression when reading your introduction on the Gofundme site is that you have never farmed.  I am sure that is not the reality.  I'm sure that you have grown vegetables and peppers for years but none of that comes across here.  I would want to put my money into someone that has had a small farm for several years, has had some successes, some struggles, had tried everything they can do to grow...and now you are ready to move to the next level and need some help from some friends.  That's us!  If you told me you have developed products that local businesses want more of then that also helps me be a part of something great.  I don't mean this in a bad way at all but if you read the sites that get funded there is more to it then "I just want to start a business."

Good luck!

-Tom 

Also, why don't you have a picture of your wife and you next to your current garden/farm?  The picture used looks like a stock photo and nothing that hits home.

I checked out the campaign. I agree with tom2. Do you have any farming experience? And the campaign is for 250k for a start up farm?

Thanks for the responses and constructive criticism. I have never run a farm, but I have run several businesses with success. I have "farmed" meaning grown lots of different veggies, fruits and such with good results. If I could not grow things well, I probably would not do this. However, many folks have given me compliments on my plants, and so I feel confident going forward. Yes there will be mishaps, learning experiences and such, but that is a part of any business starting new. I simply cannot get around those facts. So am I a new guy farming commercially for the first time? Yes, but I have learned many things from others who do indeed own their own farm and have some success.
In regards to the webpage, I  have not finished it completely. I too thought about having a picture with us both, and I will be doing just that. It was put up yesterday and so it needs some more personal touches. In regards to finances and the request for 250k has a lot to do with what we ourselves are bringing to the table. We ourselves are bringing about 20% of the total costs. One thing I have learned in business is to not go too far too fast. So the money needed is to get us going, not to pay for every conceivable expense and upgrade. Plus, we ourselves have some other funds, and my wife does really well for us, so we have decent income coming in. Because we have been smart with how we live, we are debt free, and have little monthly expenses, which frees up additional funds for investment, we will not be walking into this foolishly.
This is all a work in progress, and I do have help from others who have been more successful than me. I am an outside the box thinker and have already established some business in the future with the farm. With an open mind, some measure of brains and the wiliness to learn from others I feel confident that we can make it happen.

A warm fuzzy feeling doesn't pay my bills,just yours.
I work for my $.

I don't understand the whole concept of"I want YOU to set me up in biz"...

Mom and Dad taught me,if you don't have the $,don't spend it first.
ONLY ask for $ if it is DRASTICALLY needed for LIFE threatening stuff.
Might pay it back in a Gazillion years-but it was a LOAN in MY time of need!

No experience in other than a garden in your yard - so it seems.
Bizz experience means little IF the critters,weather,land etc. screw with you AND you have to learn how to deal with it through trial and error.

Maybe take some Ag. classes etc. first.
Educate yourself first,it WILL mean a lot towards your success in the end.
Have you spent the time even talking to locals,checked out the market etc.?

Check stuff out first,I've pissed away my share of $ because I didn't think things could EVER fail at the time.

Do yourself a favor.
Check stuff out first,in depth.
I'd bet in the long run,IF you posted you were educated in running a farm etc. more people would help you out or whatever.

I think you need to educate yourself as to the reality of growing a commercial garden before asking people to send $ to you.
But other peoples $ is free.
Easy to spend on a possible pipe dream.

In my years of life,MOST times something ALWAYS screwed me up-or I'd be rich now.
It's the 1% of small crap that I didn't think about that messed me up big time.
Loose an important account because the powers that be kicked in.
Usually something I though I could deal with AND probably wouldn't happen.
Murphie's Law.

Not trying to rain on your parade.
I just don't like the "GIVE ME " stuff these days AND your possible lack of educating yourself before asking for $.

Why can't you get a loan?
There is a reason...

Biz isn't all the same,selling widgets manufactured by some one else is a LOT different than starting a Widget factory.
One might have been a GREAT success,the other a failure.

IF some one wants $ from me,I want to be getting at least stock out of it if it succeeds.
I want to know what the guy knows about whatever project I'd invest in.
You say you are Biz savey...
Sell me on your project.

All I see is a possible pipe dream with nothing but either a thank you or an OOPPS for MY investment.

Yes at times I give people $ ,BUT they SOLD ME on their ideas with facts.
Not just a WARM FUZZY FEELING,because you want to go into an enterprise half cocked.

I don't always write with the best words,but take it with a grain of salt.
My point IS I think you aren't educated enough FOR THIS SPECIFIc PROJECT to donate $ to.
Why waste whatever $ you do get on something YOU REALLY want to get into?
It seems to be something YOU REALLY want to do.
Do yourself a favor and CHECK OUT A LOT more stuff before you try doing it.

From experience,failure WILL break your heart!
BIG TIME!

I've been there and done that,several times before in my 60+yrs. of life.
Things look GREAT and work for a while.
Then Murphies Law kicks in.
But I had loans etc. not free $.

I think you only see $ as a problem.
Like I said,stuff happens,Nematodes in the soil,Weather or whatever can really screw you up.

Think things out past what you seem to have checked out so far.

I DO wish you well.
Live the dreams I thought I would have realized by now.
BUT DON"T go into it half cocked.
Free $ really rubs me wrong,both asking for it and getting it.
A loan paid off or even 1% of profit would be cool.
Free $ to me sucks.
I see it as a lack of values.
But I'm a Dinosaur.

While the above post may sound brutal there is a lot of truth to it. Success takes hard work and a lot of time even more risk. What's the risk when your spending other peoples' money? Where's your incentive to succeed when you don't h ave anything on the line? ...sorry but gofund me is a sham...lazy american bs

I know of several forums that have outright banned links to gofundme-type sites as "digital panhandling."

There are notable exceptions. For instance, tech or manufacturing startups that offer a return on investment (eg, $300 gets you one of the new whizbang prototypes). These companies need certain capital to cover their manufacturing nut, give back much of that investment and hope the momentum carries them forward. I have seen a few hot sauce ones, that offer sauce, t-shirts, etc. in exchange for varying degrees of investment.

Wow some seriously disparaging comment smokemaster take it easy brother!! :) I don't think Aaron is looking for a life coach just some support from members and friends!!! Aaron is a great guy who has the work ethic needed to pull this off I don't think trying to tell him he's unprepared is what he's looking for. More along the lines brother Phil has mentioned way to go Phil!! Let's not stand in front of this new venture. Let's stand beside him and help anyway we can. That's the THP way!!

So in that spirit I say BRAVO on your determination brother ill be posting your link to my Facebook page. Wish I could help monetarily but as a disabled veteran my financial situation is bleak at best :)

Good luck and keep us posted brother!!! :)

I also don't get it .
You won't bet all your own money , but want to bet with free money?
You already have a good job in the family , with good income?
You are not destitute?
This is not a charity , you won't be employing the disabled?
You are keeping all the profits?
Nope , don't get it.!

Just to  start with I am not upset or angry over smokemasters post. I do disagree with some of it, and there is quite a bit of assuming without knowing all the facts. One big one I will just put out there is that I cannot get a loan. Actually I can, I have excellent credit but won't. Call me lazy, or perhaps unwilling to put myself on the line, but I'm no fool. I believe in living as debt free as possible, and such I am just not willing to put myself and my family in a deeper debt situation. I believe I can do it other ways. Maybe I might have to take the long slow way, and that is okay. But don't assume I am lazy, or simply looking for a handout. I just came to the conclusion that if some shmo can put up a campaign for replacing a video game system, or to finance someone just sitting home doing nothing or vacations, why can't a person, trying to live the dream of owning his own business and becoming a producer not put a business campaign up? What I am seeking will aid the economy like other small businesses,  unlike someone who is just trying(and succeeding!) to get people to pay for a gaming system or a vacation. Way too many businesses had someone helping to fund it early on, although some might like to pretend that they did not get started themselves this way. Parents, other family have given many many people the money they needed to get started, but I guess since its not family doing it for me, I "must be looking for a handout". How many people if they are honest will admit they had financial help, and I am not referring to loans. So why am I second class as if the same could not happen for me? My family did not have the finances like others, and so that route is not possible. As I mentioned we already are bringing our own money to the table, and putting ourselves on the line. We are in the process right now of closing on a property. Yes we have the loan Smoke to do that. However I am not going to take another loan out. If you do not want to help that is fine, no one ever forced you to do so. However, instead of thinking the worst, how about thinking the best? How about at least being supportive in another's attempts to build a business? Is this not what our economy needs? I might disagree with the extent of some handouts our gov. gives to many much larger companies, but if they can do it, why shit on the little guy who is just wanting a small piece of that? Way too many multi billion dollar companies get free handouts all the time, yet ship their jobs and economic power to other nations like China... so I am wrong to try to get a tiny fraction of that? Come on guys.
As far as mistakes, even you said smoke that you make them, and you been there and done that. Why am I not afforded the same leeway? No business on the planet EVER, went perfect or mistake free.  I don't expect mine to be any different. I am not a rookie to failures. I am almost 40 and have failed many times. Your not the only one who has been through some serious things, and faced real adversity.
On another point, I am certainly not lazy. Before I was involved in the medical industry, I did low wage jobs. May many times I have hard physical jobs because I did not have an college education and such I could not find a job beyond 10-15 an hour. That was my top. So I paid my dues with hard work, and the mental struggle of working for so little. That is why I am done working for someone else if I can help it. One way or another I will succeed. Yes I know its not easy, but then again life is not easy. Welcome to life, to which I have a healthy amount of experience. 
Lastly, call me proud crazy or what, but I want it to remain a family thing. I am not willing to give any of this company to anyone. If its the long hard way, then so be it. No one else will have any say or clout with our company, which is why I am unwilling to take on any investors.
As I said I am not mad, but do have the facts because a lot of assuming has been done and almost everything assumed is wrong. I appreciate feedback even when its critical, however assuming certain things that are actually incorrect is wrong. I am old school in many ways, but I also know the deck has been stacked against me. I need every bit of help I can get, and the pursuit of that should not be considered looking for a handout, especially since we have too many companies receiving far more at tax payer expense. Look at it this way, at least I am not costing tax payers money to fund my farm. Its a voluntary thing, not forced unlike the big boys who end up putting their debt onto the American people.  

i'd suggest go with kickstarter instead of gofundme. Then you can have reward tiers and give people something for making their donation...

like:
10$ mention in video tour of our new farm
50$ get a sfrb with our first harvested fresh peppers
100$ get name burned into plaque indicating our startup investors at our new barn / property
500$ we make a limited run sauce, you help us pick the recipe and name, you get 5 bottles for free

but really for 250k you need an angel investor not just a bunch of small donations.

karoo said:
I also don't get it .
You won't bet all your own money , but want to bet with free money?
You already have a good job in the family , with good income?
You are not destitute?
This is not a charity , you won't be employing the disabled?
You are keeping all the profits?
Nope , don't get it.!

Actually we are betting with our money, its just not enough.  I recently was laid off, and so the bills are on my wife right now. The industry I worked in has a lot of opposition to it from big Pharma, and thus I am not betting on that. My wife's job has not been stable and they have seen quite a few layoffs recently, and so I can see the writing on the wall. No one including myself will ever say "well you could see what was coming and you did nothing". Good paying jobs are becoming scarcer and scarcer. Anyone comfortable in this situation is a fool.
Yes I will be keeping all the profits as that is the idea. However I do help others out less fortunate than me, and been doing so for many years. I don't need a successful business to do that. If it became successful enough to employ people I would be more than willing to hire people with disabilities.

oldsalty said:
Wow some seriously disparaging comment smokemaster take it easy brother!! :) I don't think Aaron is looking for a life coach just some support from members and friends!!! Aaron is a great guy who has the work ethic needed to pull this off I don't think trying to tell him he's unprepared is what he's looking for. More along the lines brother Phil has mentioned way to go Phil!! Let's not stand in front of this new venture. Let's stand beside him and help anyway we can. That's the THP way!!

So in that spirit I say BRAVO on your determination brother ill be posting your link to my Facebook page. Wish I could help monetarily but as a disabled veteran my financial situation is bleak at best :)

Good luck and keep us posted brother!!! :)
Thank you for the encouragement and attitude. I really appreciate it. No worries brother about helping me financially. I would not want to take money from anyone who just does not have it.

Man I'm shocked at some of the replies!! :( Just plain mean!! Aaron has been a member for awhile now so let's be nice!! :) send him best wishes and all the luck we can muster!!

Juanitos I love that idea!!!! :) that's the response AaronTT was looking for not a punch in the face!!

juanitos said:
i'd suggest go with kickstarter instead of gofundme. Then you can have reward tiers and give people something for making their donation...

like:
10$ mention in video tour of our new farm
50$ get a sfrb with our first harvested fresh peppers
100$ get name burned into plaque indicating our startup investors at our new barn / property
500$ we make a limited run sauce, you help us pick the recipe and name, you get 5 bottles for free

but really for 250k you need an angel investor not just a bunch of small donations.

Perhaps your right. Kickstarter might be the better option. Thanks for your input.

1st off, I like Aaron, he's a good dude and a good member of this community. No need to bash the dude for having a dream. With that in mind, my feedback here is intended as constructuve.

So that said, right off the bat, $250k is a lot of $ to ask for on any social fundraising site. And without specific, measurable goals and a business plan laid out for the world to see, it's gonna be an uphill climb.

I'm not going to disparage anyone for wanting to start a business, but for that amount of $, and the general goal of "starting a farm", you'd be better off with an agricultural loan.

Social fundraising is better suited to "I started a farm, invested $100k on my own, and now I need a $20k tractor - and here are the rewards you'll get for helping me to buy one!" Specific, measurable goals, with achievable milestones and timely rewards - that's the framework that Kickstarter needs to even approve your campaign. As presented, I don't think you'd even be able to launch your project on KS.

Also, I won't generally disparage social fundraising, in part because I did a kickstarter.myself last year and it was great for my business. It was not to launch my business, but to help pay for a new delivery truck in my 3rd year. Prior to that I cashed out my modest retirement plan, stocks, etc, and cleaned out my 20-years worth of savings account to start my company.

And speaking from that experience I can tell you a couple of things for sure:
1. No one will want to invest without return for this. It may not be equal return, as people are willing to help to some degree, but unless you're trying to pay medical bills for a life-threatening disease, people are going to want something for their $.

2. People will get mad at you for the perception that you've not investing substantially in the business yourself 1st. I received numerous emails during my campaign - some were incredibly rude, expressing that very thing. Fortunately I was able to respond that I had invested substantially in my business, and that I only needed help with the vehicle part. And I could finance the vehicle myself but it might mean not making a new flavor for a while. So there was a customer-facing benefit to my goal. Many then turned around and contributed. Others wrote to me stating that the only reason they contributed was because they'd seen how far i'd taken the business without any outside funding. Point is that people care about this aspect - a lot. Hell, I've backed several kickstarters and I'm the same way. You said yourself that you're not willing to take that risk? That's the whole name of the game Aaron. Starting a business is a gamble, and a HUGE risk. And if you're not willing to take that gamble, no one else will believe in you.

3. $250k is a massive amount of funding to seek. Unrealistic in my opinion. I had 500+ backers and raised $30k, and after rewards fulfillment, shipping and packaging materials for those rewards, about $9k went towards my used Ford Transit. So to be successful without giving any rewards you'll need about ~4500 backers. With rewards you'll need ~12,000 backers. That's somewhat unrealistic in my opinion

Again, this is all intended as constructive. Live your dream Aaron - but to get that kind of backing you need a bank loan, not social fundraising. There's a huge difference between someone trying to raise $300 for a video game console (which i agree is lame) and trying to get a no-strings attached $250k.

Best of luck.

Back