• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Good bug ... Bad bug ??

Hello All ,

Today I noticed a bunch of little hard shelled bugs that look like Lady Bugs but
they're green instead of red. They have little dark spots on them also.

Are these good guys or bad guys ??

Peace,
P. Dreadie

P. Dreadie said:
Hello All ,

Today I noticed a bunch of little hard shelled bugs that look like Lady Bugs but
they're green instead of red. They have little dark spots on them also.

Are these good guys or bad guys ??

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Sounds like a cucumber beetle. Post a pic.

cucumber beetles are bad.

If it's more oval shaped than round then it probably is a cucumber beetle. Ladybugs do come in different colors. Good call SS.

I loaned my camera out. Bad move ..... nuff said.

I'm thinking the both of you know the critter I'm asking about. I'm not growing cucumbers. I have a few
radishes left and some beets. But these guys aren't on them. They're crawling on my peppers plants !!

If they are bad for peppers also ...... how do I send them to the other side ?

Thanks & Peace
P. Dreadie

Thanks for the photo. I don't remember them having the "mid" body section and it seems the spots were green in the center ... more or less. I went out to find one but it's 90 degrees and they seem to be laying low. I'll check again in the morning.

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

P. Dreadie said:
I don't know how to place it in this thread but here's a link.

It's easy, instead of pasting the link like you just did, click the icon above thats yellow with mountains and a sun, and a dialog will popup asking you for the link, paste it in the box and click ok. It should spit out the URL wrapped in image tags, like below but without spaces.

[IMG ]http://your.website.com/yourimage.jpg[ /IMG]

P. Dreadie said:
So will these critters do harm to my peppers ? And if so .... what's the best way to kill them
off ?

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Bad bug.

from wiki:

At two stages of their approx. 8 week lifespan, these insects cause damage to plants. Adults will attack the tender young growth of stems and leaves, and the buds and petals on mature specimens. They also carry and spread the bacterial wilt organism, Pseudomonas amygdali pv. lachrymans, and the cucumber mosaic virus. Eggs are laid in clusters on the underside of host leaves, and hatch into yellowish larvae (coloration varies) approx 1/2" long. The larvae then commence to feed on plant roots by tunneling into the ground. In some areas, the larvae is called the "corn rootworm".

Doesn't sound good at all.

YES!!! They are very bad. We're infested here. They haven't touched my chili plants yet, but they've almost decimated my wife's green beans.

I went to the garden supply and they suggested I try Spinosad because it's sprayed on and easier
to get on the under side of the leaves. This is day two after I sprayed and there's no sign of the
Cucumber Beetles. There's also no Lady Bugs ..... I hope they're not around because there isn't
anything for them to eat.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Edited and added ....... There are Lady Bugs !!

Glad you got rid of the beetles. :) Looks like its even more effective than bacillus thuringiensis too, and won't kill predators like ladybugs.

Spinosad is a relatively new insect killer that was discovered from soil in an abandoned rum distillery in 1982. Produced by fermentation, Spinosad can be used on outdoor ornamentals, lawns, vegetables and fruit trees, to control caterpillars, thrips, leafminers, borers, fruit flies, and more. Spinosad must be ingested by the insect, therefore it has little effect on sucking insects and non-target predatory insects. Spinosad is relatively fast acting. The pest insect dies within 1 to 2 days after ingesting the active ingredient. Will not persist in the environment. Sunlight and soil microbes break it down into carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen. Classified as an organic substance by the USDA National Organic Standards Board. OMRI Listed for use in organic production. Mix 4 Tbsp. per gallon of water.

Unique Features:
• Organic active ingredient, produced by fermentation
• New chemistry for insect control
• B.t. replacement, more effective pest control
• Can be used on vegetable & fruit crops, ornamentals, and turf
• Controls caterpillars as well as beetles, leafminers, thrips and more!

Back