Good purple numex variety?

Does anyone know of a good purple numex variety? I'm planning on growing some purple tomatillos, purple serranos, and purple jalapeños in order to make a roasted salsa verde type of sauce, only purple, so really it would be salsa morada. :D For a roasted sauce for enchiladas I'm looking for a numex type like hatch or anaheim or something. Any ideas? I've done a little googling but didn't find much except for this one http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/product/barkers_hot/ It looks like it turns purple from the pictures. Hmmm

I'm not aware of any purple Numex varieties. The closest I can think of is the Pasilla. It was one of the varieties originally bred into the New Mexico No. 9.

Hmm, one of those might work. I did grow some pasilla (or really chilaca when they're fresh) last year, they grew like weeds but a lot of them got BER and the ones that didn't, I didn't really care for the flavor fresh. I like to use the dried pods for some things though. They seemed more of a black color when ripe to me though.

Purple Marconi might be a good option.

That Barker's Hot apparently turns red when ripe, the color just looks purplish from the picture. I guess it's just a hot variety of hatch chile.

Back