• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe-help Good recipes for habereno?

Just looking for some basics on the method to actually make a good salsa always tried but never had a successful finished dip

Smooth or chunky?
Cooked or raw like pico?

For a good pico you have to start with really good, ripe roma tomatoes and a very sharp knife for a good dice. Onion, jalapenos or hotter peppers, cilantro, and lime juice. Do a large dice for the tomatoes, medium for the onions, small for the peppers. Pico is best FRESH or within a few hours, a little self-marination is good. But it will not be good the next day, it will all taste like onion so only make it when you can use it. Good with chips as a chunky salsa, and good with any Mexican meal as a condiment.

I don't salt pico because it draws out water and creates a soup in the bottom. However sea salt is nice as a finishing salt (when served).

A tip for making your pico (or other fresh salsa) not taste like onion is to dice it up and toss it into ice cold water for 5-10 minutes. Takes a lot of the onion bite out of your salsa and can keep it from being overwhelmingly 'oniony'.

I will post the pico recipe when i get on the other computer

Lots of recipes here, and check out ones that sound good...like tropical ones,... and substitute habaneros.

Sorry....having trouble with the Pepperfool link.

Have fun!
SL

Last edited:
I don't salt pico because it draws out water and creates a soup in the bottom. However sea salt is nice as a finishing salt (when served).
Hmm...

I salt and let it sit on a strainer. But maybe with good fresh tomatoes that's not quite as necessary. Been relying too much on store-bought "hothouse" tomatoes recently.

As for onions, I prefer red.

The Roma/plum varieties are the best! Even store bought. You get a lot of deep red tomato, and not a lot of water or pink/white flesh.

Hmm...

I salt and let it sit on a strainer. But maybe with good fresh tomatoes that's not quite as necessary. Been relying too much on store-bought "hothouse" tomatoes recently.

As for onions, I prefer red.
This is the method I was taught.

Dice your tomatoes, lightly toss them in salt, then let them drain. Sucks the water out and leaves you with more tomato goodness.

Same goes for cucumber in a tzatziki sauce.

Back