• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pH Good salinity tester/salt thermometer?

Hi folks - has anyone here used a salinity tester to measure the salt levels of a pepper mash (or anything else for that matter)? I'm mostly working with pre-made pepper mashes that are kept in quite a bit of salt (the manufacturer says 8%-11%), but I've found the salt level varies quite a bit from batch to batch, and from pepper type to pepper type. So using the same recipe can come out underseasoned, perfect, or too salty. I'd like to measure the salinity of the mashes I receive, and adjust the recipe based on the actual salt levels. I'd also like to be able to test the salinity of my final product just to ensure consistency from batch to batch.

Looking for recommendations for an affordable, but consistent/easy to use salinity tester!

I use a PH meter for testing acidity levels all the time, but not until recently have I thought to measure salinity.

Thanks for any suggestions!

bostonheat said:
Hi folks - has anyone here used a salinity tester to measure the salt levels of a pepper mash (or anything else for that matter)? I'm mostly working with pre-made pepper mashes that are kept in quite a bit of salt (the manufacturer says 8%-11%), but I've found the salt level varies quite a bit from batch to batch, and from pepper type to pepper type. So using the same recipe can come out underseasoned, perfect, or too salty. I'd like to measure the salinity of the mashes I receive, and adjust the recipe based on the actual salt levels. I'd also like to be able to test the salinity of my final product just to ensure consistency from batch to batch.

Looking for recommendations for an affordable, but consistent/easy to use salinity tester!

I use a PH meter for testing acidity levels all the time, but not until recently have I thought to measure salinity.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hey Baw stan - Are we talking about a salt water fish tank meter?> Hanna Salinity & Temperature Tester -

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Hey Baw stan - Are we talking about a salt water fish tank meter?> Hanna Salinity & Temperature Tester -

Hey Merrimack! I'm hoping for a food-grade salinity tester, not one made for an aquarium or pond (although those seem to be much more common). Here are a few examples:
https://www.amazon.com/Chloride-Refractometer-V%C2%B7RESOURCING-Salinometer-Measurement/dp/B0852KWDWD/
https://www.amazon.com/TekcoPlus-Salinity-Refractometer-Measuring-Chloride/dp/B01MUBJ4IE/
https://www.amazon.com/Salinity-Handheld-Indicator-Detector-Concentration/dp/B07W4Q2T78/

Those look like the refractometers that brewers use to also measure the amount of sugars during fermentation. I never knew they could test salinity. Learn something new everyday. I make my own mashes so The tools I use for getting just the right salinity is a calculator and a scale. something seems a little off if you're buying the same product but the salinity is changing.

Back