Got a couple questions. New to this.

So, I've loved hot peppers all my life and eat them daily. I had a friend toss me a reaper recently. I had no idea what it was but it tasted great (though not as hellish as the legends I had read indicated). Ultimately, taking the scarcity of the pepper in to consideration I got it into my head to eventually grow my own along with other types. I figure that will be this year or next depending on how long it takes to set up.

I'm completely new when it comes to growing plants (Though I have lurked/read up to a decent degree). So have mercy on my infantile botany skills.

I live in NY/PA so exactly when would be the approximate time to start germinating the seeds?

It should be done indoors so they are viable enough before the time comes around when I actually want to transplant them outside correct?

It's been coldish at 10-30 degrees F so exactly how do I go about setting up an indoor grow space? As much detail as possible would be nice. Should I be doing it in the garage? Buying a greenhouse? A tent or something? I guess it would be nice to grow peppers regardless of season if looking long term. I guess maintaining heat would be the most troublesome component. Do lamps actually provide enough or would I need a heater as well. I'm really in the dark. Thanks for any responses.

1) So what's the time frame on that?
2) When exactly is growing season for outdoor planting?
3) Any tips/guides on exactly what I need to set up a grow room/space

You could easily start now, the sooner the better is normally the rule. The reason people would wait is space constraints. Once the peppers finally take off they can grow quite a bit and it'll easily get crowded on a window sill if that's where you intend on starting them. And yes, they should be started indoors, pepper seeds need temps over 70 ish F to germ, I think I've seen people around 80-85F if I'm correct. Don't forget to harden the plants off before you transplant them into the ground though. 

As for the indoor set up, you can make it as easy or complicated as you want. What I do is germ the seeds next to a heater, once I see a tap root they go down in soil. I put them on my window sill and let nature do her thing. Watering occasionally of course. Once the seeds have germinated they can be kept at slightly lower temps, so if you're doing it in your house/flat you shouldn't need any extra heating.  

I've not used any grow lights or heat mats and I've done OK, but I also don't know much about it. There's a subforum on grow tech, I'm sure you could have a look there to see different kinds of set ups. 

Outdoor planting really depends on your climate, you do not want to plant them out until you're absolutely sure there won't be any frost. Frost will kill your plants, and even then, night temps close to freezing aren't ideal either, I found that mine got a little stunted in too low temps. 

Oh, and welcome to THP!

I am zone 5b and started my seeds on 1/10 this year.  Last year I started reapers on March 9th, planted out May 4th and only had a few small pods by the end of October.

Outdoor season for me starts when the lows at night are in the 40's occasionally and mostly in the 50's. 

As for a grow room/space, it really depends on your goals.  I use T8 shop lights until the outdoor season starts.  A heat mat will really help germinating super hot seeds.

Edit: Typo, hadn't finished my morning coffee 

About how large do they grow in 4 months? Won't I need multiple heat mats or something. I guess I'm worried about keeping them alive during winter/early spring until I can move them to the outdoors.

Also, best place/method to store seeds? I read 35-50 F is ideal.

Thanks you two. I'll also post in that other sub.

As for keeping seeds, as long as they are dry it doesn't matter too much, as long as you don't burn them. There is no need to keep them frozen unless you try to store them 5+ years. 

In 4 months they can grow a foot or two, but this will actually depend a lot on pot size, if kept in a small pot there is no way they can get as big as they are genetically designed to. Where did you intend on keeping them? I think temps over 50F is acceptable for plants, they can go down to low 40s, but that's not recommended. 

I see, thanks.

I was hoping the garage would be good but I probably need to find some way to supplement more heat since the garage is typically colder and I don't have a basement.

It would probably be ok as long as I had a heater running nearby I think.

PepperZ said:
So, I've loved hot peppers all my life and eat them daily. I had a friend toss me a reaper recently. I had no idea what it was but it tasted great (though not as hellish as the legends I had read indicated). Ultimately, taking the scarcity of the pepper in to consideration I got it into my head to eventually grow my own along with other types. I figure that will be this year or next depending on how long it takes to set up.

I'm completely new when it comes to growing plants (Though I have lurked/read up to a decent degree). So have mercy on my infantile botany skills.

I live in NY/PA so exactly when would be the approximate time to start germinating the seeds?

It should be done indoors so they are viable enough before the time comes around when I actually want to transplant them outside correct?

It's been coldish at 10-30 degrees F so exactly how do I go about setting up an indoor grow space? As much detail as possible would be nice. Should I be doing it in the garage? Buying a greenhouse? A tent or something? I guess it would be nice to grow peppers regardless of season if looking long term. I guess maintaining heat would be the most troublesome component. Do lamps actually provide enough or would I need a heater as well. I'm really in the dark. Thanks for any responses.

1) So what's the time frame on that?
2) When exactly is growing season for outdoor planting?
3) Any tips/guides on exactly what I need to set up a grow room/space

If you need seeds,check my grow list,and if anything interests you,get ahold of me.

PepperZ said:
About how large do they grow in 4 months? Won't I need multiple heat mats or something. I guess I'm worried about keeping them alive during winter/early spring until I can move them to the outdoors.

Also, best place/method to store seeds? I read 35-50 F is ideal.

Thanks you two. I'll also post in that other sub.

If you are starting them indoors you will only need the heat mat for germination... unless your house is really, really cold.  

Size will depend on a number of factors.  Heat, humidity, light, nutrients, pot size...  Last year, mine were root bound in solo cups after two months under T8's at 75 - 85F .  If they get too crazy you can always prune them back.  There are some good articles on topping and how it causes the plant to bush out.  Reapers tend to grow very very slow.  If it gets too big, that's a good problem.   ;)

DSC_0011_zpshy6bfwbh.jpg

Out of curiosity, I gotta ask about Hydroponic setups for this stage. After germination and they start sprouting.

Say if you put multiple plants per container. Wouldn't the root systems run the risk of tangling with one another over a 4-5 month period?

Back