Got a Question

I got a question......

There is a local Bar and Grill that has approached me about supplying them with BBQ and Hot Sauce. Now I explained that I am not commercially bottling the sauces yet. Their idea is for me to come in once a week and use their kitchen to make a weeks worth of sauce for them and they will pay me for the sauces...Since it would be made in the resturants kitchen for that resturant is this legal...since I'm not gonna bottle it...it is just gonna be put in their containers to be used?

First...get paid well....second..make sure it is safe for them to use on costumers...hpde gallon size bottles works well, not other containers...thats what i do in my restaurant...
just my 2 cents

1 gallon HDPE bottles aren't too expensive so I could include that in the price...They even said that if we agree they will put my logo in their menus as well.

When you bottle into the HDPE bottles do I still bottle at 180 degrees or let it cool a bit? I know HDPE can take some heat (when I used to fire fireworks shows we used HDPE tubes)

haha...no fireworks here..:)
i usually cook my sauces/salsas at 190-200 for 10 minutes then bottling it. I then turn them upside down and let them cool overnight (use a glove to handle those bottles as they are HOT..!!) got burned few times..!!

Well, if its from that restaurant, for that restaurant, I don't think there will be any health department issues...as long as you do it right.

When you do become professional, make sure that the restaurant knows that they don't have any rights to the recipe.

DevilDuck said:
When you do become professional, make sure that the restaurant knows that they don't have any rights to the recipe.

Good point DD.

Shouldn't have to worry about FDA stuff until you start using their kitchen to produce extra jars to sell. At least write up a contract (more than just a handshake)sounds like overkill but can make or brake you in the long run. Could even rent space and charge wholesale to keep honest people honest.

DD, great point of the rights to the recipe. Intellectual propert rights can get a little weird. I would mix spices at home (if you do work out of the restaurant kitchen) so that no one can pick up on what your recipe is. Sounds a little over the top, but I have had intellectual property stolen and it sucks!
Also great call on the contract by Dawg. Judge Judy is making a great living on folks who thought it would be weird to sign a contract in the beginning of a business relationship. If they are not willing to sign something, then do not do biz!

Easy way to prove - Type out your recipe, then post it to yourself & not open the letter but getting a postal stamp of the date. ....proof that you had the 'formula' before they started making money from it. Works for copywrite but not patent.

Yes a recipe can be copywritten, and even trademarked if you have a catchy name for it.

bentalphanerd said:
Easy way to prove - Type out your recipe, then post it to yourself & not open the letter but getting a postal stamp of the date. ....proof that you had the 'formula' before they started making money from it. Works for copywrite but not patent.

Yes a recipe can be copywritten, and even trademarked if you have a catchy name for it.

"Poor man's copywrite" usually will hold up in a court, but it has to be mailed certified and return receipt or it won't fly.

Thanks all...One of my ingredients is my BBQ rub and that is premixed. I will do that with all the dry stuff to, so when I go in all they see me do is dump a bucket full of stuff into the kettle and they won't have a clue. Oh yeah they will definatly know that they have NO rights to the recipe.

Good deal. I have the same thing in the works here, but it's my hot sauce (for side sauces and the like). I haven't done much talking with them lately because I usually grow all of my own peppers, and it's winter.

The weather is getting warmer, and I have a ton of seeds!!!

Back