• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

pests Got Aphids on My House Plants

HwyBill

Banned
It's a known fact.

Gonna go get some spray the next chance I get to go to the Home Depot.

Just curious what kind of damage they are doing to my plants?

Nuke 'em from orbit... it's the only way to be sure!

One thing I am curious about... will ladybugs be a viable solution for indoor houseplants. If it is, that may be good too :)

I thought about ordering a small stable, but I'm not sure how I would contain them...

I guess they would probably just stay on the plants (much like the aphids) since it is the only vegetation in the vacinity.

I've had aphids before on plants.. no problem getting rid of them... I just got to hit up a big-box store since it is not exactly growing season here in Chicago so the grocer is not currently stocking that sort of spray.

I'm just curious what kind of damage they are doing in the meantime. From direct observation, the flowers are looking brown and not setting fruit, and some of the leaves look wilted and "sweaty"

Things I've read is that they suck the juices out of the plant and excrete "honeydew" which ants and other insects eat from. Also the "honeydew" may cause I think its called Black sooty mold.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74108.html

I know my plants look like s*$^ because of aphids, having to start over completely.

Northside Chicago...check out "Gethsemane Garden Center" on 5700 Clark or " Brew and Grow" on Addison and Kedzie. Chances are your not talking about tall tropical trees, but if they're small house plants get the RIGHT spray (for indoor use), put each plant in an individual garment or large trash bag, fumigate the plant(s) by heavily spraying them and closing up the bag for 2 to 3 days. Aphids are not a soil issue.
Good luck....they're beatable

Spicy: Yeah that would explain the "dew"-like residue I am seeing on some of the leaves.

PIC-1: I think a quick trip down Roosevelt to the local Home Depot and a spray bottle of all-purpose insect repellant will do the trick... just Jewel isn't stocking that this time of year so it involves a "trip" Shit... I might pick up bugs myself on the #12 bus.

With aphids you can use common household dish soap (without dyes/perfumes), water and sometimes chili powder mix and just spray entire leaf top and bottom till dripping and repeat every 3-5 days for a while till you see a decrease in population. Gotta treat thru youngens to. Some people add Neem oil to it also. I uses insecticidal soap from GardenSafe.

With aphids you can use common household dish soap (without dyes/perfumes), water and sometimes chili powder mix and just spray entire leaf top and bottom till dripping and repeat every 3-5 days for a while till you see a decrease in population. Gotta treat thru youngens to. Some people add Neem oil to it also. I uses insecticidal soap from GardenSafe.
That's how I get rid of mine but I only allow the soapy water to stay on for 15 minutes and mist off with regular water. I use 1 oz. of dish soap per gallon of water. If I don't mist, I'll get leaf burn and I have to do this 2 or 3 times a month to keep the aphids at bay (btw works great). Look around for ants, if you see them they're an issue as well, cause they try to plant aphid eggs around the plant or other plants, they tend to drive me more crazy than the aphids which I can control. Soapy water kills them too but they seem to show back up a few days later and trust me they arn't there to try your wonderful pods :D

I've only done it on indoor plants maybe try doing it at night alcohol evaporates fast and jus try it on a small part to see how the plant reacts

I've only done it on indoor plants maybe try doing it at night alcohol evaporates fast and jus try it on a small part to see how the plant reacts
Good idea and thanks, I have a mid size test plant and I'll try you're night spay idea ... good call.

Back