• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

GOT ME SOME WORMS !!!

Yep picked up some earthworms/red wigglers from Summerwinds Nursery $12.99/200ct is there a diff? And was wanting to know how you (your setup)is as of now I just got the in a "The Goliath" ice chest I got from walmart along with some mushroom compost/coco fiber basket I cut up as a top dressing with a burlap on the top?is it ok to just have one layer to my worms Ive U tubed it and ive seen both single layer beds and multi layer ones? Whats the pro's/con's also Ive seen them put drains on there(multi)set up is it needed for mine?

Yep picked up some earthworms/red wigglers from Summerwinds Nursery $12.99/200ct is there a diff? And was wanting to know how you (your setup)is as of now I just got the in a "The Goliath" ice chest I got from walmart along with some mushroom compost/coco fiber basket I cut up as a top dressing with a burlap on the top?is it ok to just have one layer to my worms Ive U tubed it and ive seen both single layer beds and multi layer ones? Whats the pro's/con's also Ive seen them put drains on there(multi)set up is it needed for mine?

Well, a drain is good for collecting worm juice :cool:

I started my worm bins this fall in Rubbermaid containers. I got a pack of 200 and then bought a pound more of the red wigglers. We have seven people in this house so our food waste can add up quickly. The container with the drain holes is nested in the other container. I also drilled holes all over the lid and the top few inches for air. I keep some old plastic bowls between the containers to collect the drainage. I have to take the boxes outside to drain them. I am using newspaper and household (fruit &veggies) food wastes to feed them. Heck, I even added my sons outgrown undies with the elastic cut off! We have a container in the fridge to collect the scraps. At first it wasn't labeled and one of my older sons ate it (yuck). Now, the box is labeled and now my teenage daughter is embarrassed to let her friends see the box with WORMZ printed on it in the fridge. Ha ha. I keep a bunch of shredded paper on top to keep any gnats down- so far so good. Now that the red wigglers have multiplied enough I started a new bin a few weeks ago. Once the first bin gets all composted I will harvest the worms to move to the second bin. The bins are in my office and seem quite happy there. I am looking forward to seeing the improvement in my plants. Good luck with the worms.
Michelle

I started my worm bins this fall in Rubbermaid containers. I got a pack of 200 and then bought a pound more of the red wigglers. We have seven people in this house so our food waste can add up quickly. The container with the drain holes is nested in the other container. I also drilled holes all over the lid and the top few inches for air. I keep some old plastic bowls between the containers to collect the drainage. I have to take the boxes outside to drain them. I am using newspaper and household (fruit &veggies) food wastes to feed them. Heck, I even added my sons outgrown undies with the elastic cut off! We have a container in the fridge to collect the scraps. At first it wasn't labeled and one of my older sons ate it (yuck). Now, the box is labeled and now my teenage daughter is embarrassed to let her friends see the box with WORMZ printed on it in the fridge. Ha ha. I keep a bunch of shredded paper on top to keep any gnats down- so far so good. Now that the red wigglers have multiplied enough I started a new bin a few weeks ago. Once the first bin gets all composted I will harvest the worms to move to the second bin. The bins are in my office and seem quite happy there. I am looking forward to seeing the improvement in my plants. Good luck with the worms.
Michelle
Thank you good luck with your worms lol

Back