• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Got my new tiller!

This one! But it also has a Power Reverse, which can come in handy. It's still a tiller, not as great as a tractor with plows and a disk, but it does a good job. Starts easily, usually on the first or second pull and doesn't use much gas - about half a tank (1/4 gallon) using it for over three hours.

If it lasts as long as the other one I had did (it was more than 40 years old!) I'll be thrilled. I'll be even more elated if I can use it 40 years from now. I'll be a bit old (95) but that would mean I spent $10/yr. on it!

Mike

My son, a very fit and somewhat muscular 28-year old tried offered to till part of the garden - he couldn't handle it. He would either let it get bogged down or barely skip over parts. I'm trying to get down at least eight inches deep, tilling through rye grass roots. It wore me out, no doubt!

Mike

When I was a kid, dad had a tiller I used in the garden. I called it The Beast. It was really hard to start, but once going it would till the ground 16 inches deep. With the raised bed garden I am now doing, a little tiller like the mantis or the like would be nice to have.

When I was a kid dad had a tiller just like the one that died last October. It started fairly easily - usually 3-4 pulls when cold, one when warmed up. It would give you a good work out, even with the stake set to its lowest depth.

When I was a kid was 45-50 years ago!

Mike

This machine is a beast! It starts generally on the first pull. I've been tilling to a depth of 10-12 inches; caveat - it is the second or third pass and I do have to sometimes lift the handles so it digs in.

I would be a liar if I was to claim it is a piece of cake to use - if anyone, no matter how great of shape they are in was to use it for eight hours a day, they would be dog-dead tired. But compared to a 5 HP rear-tine tiller whose wheels powered it forward, it is no harder.

The reason for tilling so deep - dad always told me I need to "bust the hard pan" meaning get down to the depth the soil froze to. Doing so allows it to drain better while not impeding its ability to hold moisture.

It's not as good as a 3000 Ford tractor with a two-bottom plow and a hydraulic disk, but it does fine for my 900 square feet!

Mike

Back