food Got some loot, made some sauce, made some wings.

I have been looking for some Ancho powder for a bit, and found it in an unlikely place today, Walmart. I also found some good looking pods. Orange habs, and what looks to me like Caribbean Reds. Either way, they are big and I plan on making some of my own wing sauce with them. I used some bottled Louisiana Style sauce as a base then pureed the habs, and Caribs, along with a large jalapeno. I added that and a bunch of seasonings similar to a Cajun or Creole seasoning. Things like Sea salt, seasoning salt, black pepper, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, etc. I ground up a couple of the dried Anchos and added them in. A little of Nova'a Douglah powder for punch, a little raw sugar and honey for balance, and brought it to a boil. Here are the pics.

100_8488.jpg

100_8489.jpg

100_8490.jpg

Made some wings and tossed them in what was left in the pan.

100_8491.jpg

Yum yum.

Looks VERY delicious! excellent work there!
Those probably aren't Caribbean Reds, as one of the main qualities of Caribbean Reds is the very solid and constant shape.

Nice lookin sauce Jay. Love the deep color. How was the flavor?

Those wings look really good. I usually hit up the Mexican store and load up on big bags of dried peppers. I try to keep colorado, ancho, pequin, New Mexico, chipotle, de arbol, negro and cascabel on hand at all times, they come in really handy for making sauces and powders.

I have been looking for some Ancho powder for a bit, and found it in an unlikely place today, Walmart.
I'll give you a tip. In the spice section the stuff just called "chili powder" is ancho. ;)

That's true, I did not mean all. Some of them. Anywho looks like a good score. And awesome looking wings!

Looks good mank! I'm hoping to do up some hotwings with my brother tomorrow. Canucks play the hawks at 5pm so it'll have to be before then.

Back