• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Gotta make it work this time. Ferment

I've got a wonderful batch of hot coals here, but I'm wondering what I can safely mix into this to add some bulk and spread that heat out a bit. My plan is to use the air-lock jar method with 2.5% salt, by weight.. I like the idea Skullbiker had with using no brine and blending the ingredients. 

I've got some peaches I bought for the containers, and they are getting old. Would I be able to use these in the sauce, or what else might I have around that would be a good way to bulk this. I'm also going to buy some peppers for this project, but would like to use up some of the stuff I have around the house if I can. 

Thanks for the insights. After losing both my batches last year, I'd like to limit my loses until I can get this down.

I agree with the mash method of salt by weight in the blender and an air lock’d jar. You can even just put a canning lid and band on and burp for two or so weeks. 

For the older peaches. Some like fermented fruit flavor, some don’t. My suggestion is to gather the peach fruit and freeze it. Let your pepper mash ferment and add the peaches to your cook after the ferment. This will add more sugar to your final product.  

You can also add the following ingredients to your pepper mash to tone things down:

onion
carrots
not hot peppers, google farmers markets in your area

Heady Beer said:
I agree with the mash method of salt by weight in the blender and an air lock’d jar. You can even just put a canning lid and band on and burp for two or so weeks. 

For the older peaches. Some like fermented fruit flavor, some don’t. My suggestion is to gather the peach fruit and freeze it. Let your pepper mash ferment and add the peaches to your cook after the ferment. This will add more sugar to your final product.  

You can also add the following ingredients to your pepper mash to tone things down:

onion
carrots
not hot peppers, google farmers markets in your area
Thanks for the tips, HB! I've wanted to make a sauce with carrots for a time now.. Do you have a recommendation for max % of carrot in a sauce? Definitely putting an onion in there. I have a few peppers to play with, so I could easily see doing one with a carrot base and one with peppers. I had planned on trying to get some red bell from the local guy here, if he did't have anything a little more exotic.. For my other batch. 

After a little reading, I think I may skip the peaches entirely.. I feel like that may be like throwing treasure into trash, given how dated mine are. 

CraftyFox said:
Thanks for the tips, HB! I've wanted to make a sauce with carrots for a time now.. Do you have a recommendation for max % of carrot in a sauce? Definitely putting an onion in there. I have a few peppers to play with, so I could easily see doing one with a carrot base and one with peppers. I had planned on trying to get some red bell from the local guy here, if he did't have anything a little more exotic.. For my other batch. 

After a little reading, I think I may skip the peaches entirely.. I feel like that may be like throwing treasure into trash, given how dated mine are. 
I would not add a bunch of carrot. 10% or less is a good starting point. I would also cut the carrot really small. Grated carrots would work and add that to the blender. 

I agree with skipping the peaches. Focus on this and you can add whatever you want post ferment. Probably nothing at all!

-edit: forgot to also suggest garlic to one of your ferment ingredients. 

Got it started last night. I went with straight peppers and a handful of fresh chopped garlic, with a couple of frozen ramp leafs thrown in. I added a good Tablespoon of Raw Cane Sugar and pureed.. Bringing me to 444g, to which I added 12g of Pickling Salt..
Stirred, sealed, vacuumed.  :pray: 
EaUwHKgl.jpg

Even hid it inside a can, because people here don't understand how cabinet doors function.  :deadhorse: 
qkRT7aql.jpg

I just got some of the Easy Fermenter lids with pump ordered. I should have them soon. I have never tried mash fermenting yet. It molds easier. So more salt and a vacuum are the most effective ways to reduce that chance. 2.5% sounds low even for pods in brine. Starting with a lower pH could be a huge benefit for that. A mash will still ferment with a little vinegar in it.

My most recent ferment is a 4% brine using Korean sun dried salt and a tiny bit of vinegar. Pods only cut open and held submerged with glass weights. I should probably check on it today.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I just got some of the Easy Fermenter lids with pump ordered. I should have them soon. I have never tried mash fermenting yet. It molds easier. So more salt and a vacuum are the most effective ways to reduce that chance. 2.5% sounds low even for pods in brine. Starting with a lower pH could be a huge benefit for that. A mash will still ferment with a little vinegar in it.

My most recent ferment is a 4% brine using Korean sun dried salt and a tiny bit of vinegar. Pods only cut open and held submerged with glass weights. I should probably check on it today.

Your 4% brine is right according to this microbiologist.  https://cultured.guru/blog/the-complete-guide-to-safely-using-salt-in-vegetable-fermentation#more-4413  Scoll down about half way.  There is a chart with the salt amounts for different veggies.
My last couple of ferments have been with a 4% brine also.  I also use a little fermentation starter culture to get things going faster.  Caldwells mainly.  Ive gotten away with less in the past but after reading this article by an expert, I decided to change up.  I haven't made sauce with it yet so I hope it's not too salty!

My last one i fermented at 3.6% for a month at room temp no problems. Then i took out the fermented pods and only a little of the brine. Then i run the pods with some of the brine through the Nutribullet. Pour that into a smaller Mason and let it finish in the fridge. The pepper only mash is plenty strong that it can be thinned a tad later for sauce. It wont spoil in the fridge as long as the pH had dropped enough before it went in but it will continue fermenting.

My Easy Fermenter is out for delivery today. Cant wait to try it. Sure would be nice to start out with a little less salt in a vacuum.

So.. I forgot about this stuff. It looks relatively the same as it did the last time I checked on it, some 9 or 10 moons ago. Now I've forgotten everything about finishing it.
This whitish stuff, on the bottom.. Nothing to sweat? It doesn't seem to have grown much at all. There is definitely a thinner separation layer from it sitting so long, but otherwise I can't see much change.
Thanks for any insights..
20210922_132957.jpg
20210922_132932.jpg

I usually swish mine around to mix it whenever I see it is separating.
I think you did tell me to do that before, just forgot about it completely after it was pushed to the back of the cupboard.. Something that happens a lot there, and in the fridge, by some unknown force.
Is that just yeast in the bottom there? Or something I should worry about?
I'll probably forget about it again before I have time to read up again and finish it.. But it'd be nice to get it done.

Back