• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Gourdmasters Grow Log for 2013/14

Hey all, this is my first real post on the pepper, and my ever grow log so bear with me if i seem to fumble a bit. This is also my first year trying to grow some exotic peppers. My dad and i have been growing thai peppers and hawaiian purple peppers for several years, and i also have a red scotch bonnet and a bhut jolokia plant i purchased from the county fair. I cook with the thai peppers all the time, and the red bonnets have been a treat.

I ordered ten varieties from a couple different sellers: devils tongue, chocolate scotch bonnets, satans kiss, cherry bomb, aji amerillo, jamaican yellow mushrooms, bishops crown, chocolate bhuts, aji dulce and sweet apple peppers.

I intend to keep 3 of each of these plants in my back yard (yes, i know about open pollination!) im not overly concerned about harvesting seeds. I have at least a couple friends who will take some excess plants of the seeds i germinate so i can keep different species away from each other, or even try to coax some hybrids!

Here ill keep track of my germination, seedlings, growth and pruning. I live in a hardiness zone 10b in southern california, so im going to try overwintering these plants outdoors. This hasnt been a problem for the plants ive got already, but i know some of these peppers can be rather finicky. So, with all that out of the way i suppose, lets do the first post!

I began germination last week monday, 3 seeds of each variety in a damp paper towel in a ziploc, easy peasy. Checked em all out today and had a couple results!

2V0Xmzq.jpg

One aji, two of the jamaicans, but one started to mold out, and all 3 of the satans kiss had sprouted. Put the ungerminated ajis back, tossed the dead jamaican and replaced it with a couple fresh ones, which ill check on in another week. Anyways i put the successes in some 5 gallon pots, got some potting soil and mixed some pumice into the bottom half then topped it off and buried the seeds about an inch down.

pHHdah9.jpg

Ill be checking the rest of the seeds every few days and ill log successful germinations along the way, ill also do my best to answer any questions or comments about what im doing and how im going about it. I hosted these two images on imgur, but maybe i should just open a photobucket and start building an album there, who knows. Anyway ill keep updating when i have something to show.

I did cut one of my thai peppers back down to a nub and tore it out of its pot. No, not an act of murder, i put it in a bonsai pot. Would this be an appropriate place to keep track of that plants progress as well?

Hey all, how are you doin? I checked on my seeds today and got some nice results. All three aji dulce, all three bishops crown, and all three of the sweet apple peppers had sprouted, as well as both of the other aji amarillos, one of the chocolate bhut jolokias and one of the chocolate scotch bonnets making 13 sprouts to pot today!

iQjqFPc.jpg

This means the only seeds yet to show signs of life are the cherry bomb and the devils tongue. Ill be patient though, and check on them in another couple days. It was a very pleasant day so im glad to get out for a bit. I took some pics of how i prep my pots, since this is a log and i neglected to do so last time.

xzmNaka.jpg

Nothing special, i fill half way with soil, im using E.B. Stone potting soil. Pour in some pumice and mix it pretty well, then top it off with more soil. Using a butter knife i carefully removed the sprouts from the paper towel and embed them about an inch below the surface. Except for one of of the bishops crown, whose taproot grew through the paper towel, so i had to tear the towel around it out and plant it, like so:

O0cuTKy.jpg

and heres everything so far. The other seeds i put in pots havent come up yet, and im going to have to make more room for the remaining 11 plants. I envy people with space enough to grow hundreds of plants at a time. One day, maybe, one day!

y6Ob5sx.jpg

Quick update, ive got all my seeds germinated and in pots except the devils tongue. They still havent sprouted at all, so im starting another 3 seeds and hoping to figure out why the first batch didnt germinate. I really hope these arent going to be a problem child, as these are probably the peppers im anticipating most.

gourdmaster said:
Quick update, ive got all my seeds germinated and in pots except the devils tongue. They still havent sprouted at all, so im starting another 3 seeds and hoping to figure out why the first batch didnt germinate. I really hope these arent going to be a problem child, as these are probably the peppers im anticipating most.
I soak seeds over night in clean rain water and plant the next day. IMO it loosens the husk for a quicker germ, you might want to try that prior to putting into your paper towel/ziplock.

WalkGood said:
I soak seeds over night in clean rain water and plant the next day. IMO it loosens the husk for a quicker germ, you might want to try that prior to putting into your paper towel/ziplock.

Ive also read that soaking them in some diluted tea is good too. Im going to start doing that whenever i need seeds germinated i think

Hey all! Someone got some some seeds!

DVmKwGV.png

Courtesy of WalkGood, MoA Scotch bonnets, jamaican habs and some chocolate trinidad scorpions! I am extremely excited to try all of these peppers and grateful for the chance to grow them, Ramon, you rock!

I got them sitting in some diluted tea now, in a dark place. Tomorrow ill move them into paper towels and wait for them to germinate.
TwYv6Te.png

Also i put my other two thai pepper plants into bonsai trays today. The right hand one if the first one i did two and a half weeks ago and its doing fantastic. Enough so that it encouraged me to do the others.
vySMEmV.png

I also noticed some hawaiian purple peppers getting ripe. Im not sure exactly what species this is, but the seeds came from my great uncle Lanis garden on Oahu some years ago, and weve been collecting seeds from each generation and growing them. Theyre thn walled pods that ripen from purple to red as pictured, taste very fruity and have a kind of floral pungency. They are just about as hot as thai peppers
xCFWkeY.png

As an update on the seeds ive already got going, i finally got two of the devils tongues germinated and in pots! Another of the chocolate scotch bonnets and cherry bombs as well, which means out of the 30 plants i originally planned, 27 seeds have germinated. All thats left of those are one each devils tongue, chocolate scotch bonnet and cherry bomb. I also noticed some sprouts coming up, but i forgot to take inventory of them. Ill do so and let you guys know whats coming up in my next update!

I just gotta say, Thank you again Ramon! You are a true gentleman, may your grows always be healthy, abundant, and HOT!

doing good i see, those bonsi plants are pretty cool. how have your seedling been doing? its been getting pretty cold here idk about where your at but its gotten to 55 and i know its gona get colder last winter it got to negative for a week enough to kill the little guys.  

War...

beSZj0o.jpg

War never changes....

JCOxYo5.jpg

(Two aji amarillo endure a tirade of slug attacks)

... :rofl: Hey all, its been a pretty fun couple months or so. I started out with ten new varieties, initially trying for three of each but it hasnt quite worked out that way. During late october i discovered pinholes in a couple of my seedlings. After browsing for ideas of what it might be i set out five beer traps and sprinkled crushed egg shell among my plants, suspecting slugs. The next day my fears were confirmed when i found two slugs, each in separate traps. I had hoped that was the end of it, but it was just the beginning. Within days I found myself under siege by a slimy invader. The slugs had started laying eggs in the drainage holes of my pots, and the newborn were hungry. I bought a spinsad foliar spray but it wasnt effective. Nightly patrols and day raids on the bottoms of pots yielded results, but casualties continues to climb. I retaliated with stepping up raids and finally, along with organic slug pellets i had bought, the menace was defeated. The attack from first sighting to last spanned 10-12 days and saw eight seedlings eaten to the ground. All three aji amarillo, and all three aji dulce came under assault, losing one of each. The two surviving aji dulce i thought would not survive but one thing ive learned just from reading these forums, is to never give up on your plants. And you know what? Both have started coming back:

T2RcfDX.jpg
nqPO5yD.jpg

I also lost a cherry bomb, a satans kiss, a jamaican yellow mushroom, two of three bishops crown, and a devils tongue. I germinated out seeds for a couple of the peppers, and now im resting at forty plants. 43 if you count the 2 producing hawaiian peppers i already had and the one thai pepper plant that survived bonsaification. Here is the fam, not counting those 3 extra plants:
dNVCVvC.jpg

Night time temps are still in the 50s here, growth for some varieties is slow, but they've all established themselves, multiple sets of true leaves. Except for the trinidad chocolate scorpions. They have been the trickiest so far. The first two plants i germinated sprouted, but did not establish themselves. The cotys withered and the seedlings died. I have two more sprouted in their place but so far they are cotys only as well. Time will tell if i can get these two established and on their way to catching up with the rest of the family. The back row from the left there, satans kiss, cherry bomb, and sweet apple, are taking off. The three on the right are the two bells and a poblano. The aji amarillo and jamaican yellow mushrooms are also doing well, while all the chinense are staying squat for now.

My carribean red pepper is setting flowers, so with any luck ill be looking foward to a second harvest in a few weeks
kLQQ1a4.jpg

I guess thats pretty much it. I took more pictures than i posted here, if youd like to see them, feel free to browse: http://gourdmaster.imgur.com/

Oh, one more thing though. My arabian jasmine plant finally set two flowers. She is three years old and has tried twice before but the buds dropped. I thought id lost this beauty more than once long the years and these flowers are just very rewarding, in addition to smelling lovely. Im looking foward to a full showing next time!
GWWMKyc.jpg

hey all

first off i need to apologize to smitty for taking so long to make a post, i won his pepper giveaway and they have been fantastic!
CqUTjJi.png

Got a pile of white bullet habaneros, a yellow scorpion cross, some congos, a caribbean red and a mystery red, maybe red devils tongue or fatalii, as well as a 550 paracord bracelet, neat! The bullet habs are great, i think i might try to grow some out, and i made a sauce out of some peppers
GrqF6QF.png

you can see how many peppers i have left, i used almost half the yellow scorpions and congos, and a fistful of the bullet habaneros

and it has a really nice yellow color to it too. its probably about 50/50 fresh peppers, and sauteed veggies/spices for the base, plus salt, water, distilled vinegar, lemon and lime juice, and a little brown sugar all thrown into a blender for a couple minutes and bottled.
bLHyQBz.png

its pretty thick, so im wondering: if i cook this back up in a pot and thin it out with water/vinegar solution, will it still be safe if left out? Or should it be fridged? Its been sitting out since thanksgiving when i made it, and so far it hasnt shown signs of going bad. I dont have pH testers so i dont know if i made it acidic enough or not though. I do know its tasting better every day and its plenty hot. Thanks Smitty, for being awesome!

In regard to my plants, some of the bigger ones are flowering now. Ill get a change to see if i got what i payed for with some of these seeds. If not i may rip them up and plant out more of the ones i know will grow true. I dunno yet.

A lot of my plants are still staying small, not more than a couple inches tall... the MoA and chocolate scotch bonnets, devils tongue, chocolate bhuts and JA habs especially. I got two chocolate scorpion seedlings to take that are growing their first set of true leaves, very slowly. The tempurature here is now 60s/low 70s during the day and in the 50s at night, and its starting to dip into the 40s. Itll start going into the 40s more consistently though, Is that just too cold for the plants to take off, or am i just being impatient?

Also is this mushroom safe to eat? i found some growing out front, and im just curious
UBLwVqX.jpg
XHqTmnp.jpg

Thanks guys, and especially Smitty for keeping me stocked on peppers for a while!

it has been a long time since ive posted anything, but i took pics of most of my plants today so i figured let you guys in on how everything is going too. picture flood inc

Jamaican hab is setting peppers

nc6ffWO.jpg

yellow mushroom pepper with pretty intense leaf curling

XfWQm5g.jpg

hkYUtIu.jpg

purple annuum from hawaii, ripens to bright red

sxNckBo.jpg

WO3BqDp.jpg

7 pot primo plant, starting to fork

tCWqweV.jpg

caribbean red pepper, one of two plants that are over a year old, trimmed it back too far im guessing when it over wintered, it grow back super dense but hasnt grown outward much, the peppers on it are pea sized at this point

5Qkwba3.jpg

sbj7, starting to fork, has its first bud

CY4jDlL.jpg

black naga jolokia, first flower, has several buds

ybWIm5s.jpg

my two caramel bhut jolokia that are 5 months old or so, i started new seeds last week to replace these

IZOdvJ1.jpg

im not sure, it didnt look like they were inefsted, maybe overwatering or unseen pests? i water twice a week about

peach habalokia, check out all the buds! 5 or 6 on most of the nodes, if even half of them set this will be a super prolific plant
Kw8vQsn.jpg

BY8nkM7.jpg

the as of yet unidentified plant that germinated in a batch of MoAs
0Jol8OL.jpg

there was a visitor on the plant he hopped to another before i could get a pic though
14mgF3Y.jpg

chocolate scotch bonnet thats not doing so great. bottom one, not the nice big pod in the top
4zhuMWM.jpg

another with a 4 way stem when it got topped as a young plant by slugs
Ch8NKNn.jpg

and a fairly handsome looking chocolate bonnet thats staring to put some buds out
e4GJ53G.jpg

the chocolate scotch bonnet that has some pods, including the large one
5ZrquLP.jpg

06YAMXh.jpg

too bad its not a true bonnet shape though

thanks! it could be, its been almost two weeks since i last added anything with the watering, i alternate fish imusluion+kelp extract with epsom salt every couple weeks, maybe i need to use more?

some MoAs getting a couple pods
zM0rIK9.jpg

aZ5VjNq.jpg

Kht1P8m.jpg

devils tongue, compact plant as well
apFqqF7.jpg

CGttBi3.jpg

white bullet hab
6ztrPW6.jpg

weird leaf growth and inhibited looking new growth on aji pineapple
BixUuTg.jpg

sweet apple with some curled leaves and new growth