• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Great News

My son in law who lives 5 miles from me just was given the free use of a 1/5 acre lot to use for fruit trees and vegetables. All we have to do is get rid of all the weeds and till it and he has the machines to do that job. So are families very well could be self sustaining. His father lives near him on 5 acres and has a few cattle, goats, chickens and plenty of land for crops. 

I'm excited about that since I was let go from my job yesterday. It might be a blessing in disguise as my wife is a high risk being an insulin dependent diabetic. So this isolation will be good for our family even though it will be tough on us financially. I'm going to keep a positive attitude in the midst of the chaotic times we are all living in these days.

I know I'm not the only one in this boat on the forum so I hope the best for everyone and to be safe and enjoy your families and the extra time we all have now to garden. Gods peace and safety be with you all. 

I'm looking at my 10 acres here, wondering how to accomplish cattle, but my acreage is 2/3 forested and "wetland" (that's what the state of Minnesotakstan calls farm runoff channels). I could get away with it, though there'd be no grazing: 100% purchased feed...I don't envy you and your family the work that will be involved, but the satisfaction will be worth it...Good luck!

stettoman said:
I'm looking at my 10 acres here, wondering how to accomplish cattle, but my acreage is 2/3 forested and "wetland" (that's what the state of Minnesotakstan calls farm runoff channels). I could get away with it, though there'd be no grazing: 100% purchased feed...I don't envy you and your family the work that will be involved, but the satisfaction will be worth it...Good luck!
Wetlands are just fine for running cattle, come to south louisiana and check it out...cattle in the marsh, cattle in the rice fields!  It finally got nice and hot last weekend and driving through the country I saw all these cows wading in the crawfish ponds.

I just finished planting 2 types of cucumber plants plus some additional seeds, zucchini - 6 seeds, 2 types of beans a dozen each scattered around existing large containers, black eyed peas -6,  8 heirloom varieties of tomatoes already blooming, cilantro, lots of basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary and several types of hot peppers but nothing to hot as I went for flavor. Nothing hotter than Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Scotch Bonnets and Chocolate Fatali. Starfish, Bishops Crown and several different Jalapeno's.  

I struck gold yesterday at my local lowes and found a Reed Avocado Tree for only $26. Its rated the best tasting Avo and gets over a 1lb in size, is very productive and does well in the heat of California's Central Valley. So I spent the day in the garden with my wife getting everything in order, making a new home for the new tree in a raised bed, weeding, cleaning the pond etc.....

Back