food Green Chile Chicken Soup

This is the soup that Guitargod and I have been raving about for a while. While this soup is really not that hot, pepperwise, it is extremely good and can be ramped up very easily with your choice of seasonings.

I call this "Green Chile Crack Soup" because it doesn't matter how much is in front of me, I'll eat it all...and want more.

Welcome to a little taste of New Mexico.

-DD-

1 Cup Margarine (not butter)
2 Cups Flour
6 Cups Chicken broth
3 Cups milk
2 Cups Half & Half
2 Pounds hot pepper jack cheese, shredded
3 Cups cooked, shredded chicken
1/2 cup green chile, chopped

In a 6-quart soup pot melt margarine. Whisk in flour, then broth until smooth. Continue whisking over medium heat until very smooth and thick. Add cheese and cook until cheese is melted. Add milk and half & half, stirring until smooth and hot. Add chicken and chile. Serves 6-8.

NOTE: This soup is simple but temperamental. It will burn easily, curdle or scorch and needs to be whisked and stirred constantly.

DD...if you make the roux..which is butter or margarine or oil and flour, cook that low, then instead of adding the cheese, add the milk (which is a mother sauce..aka bechamel) and simmer and then the cheese, it will less likely burn. I prefer cream rather than milk mysef' but dude....you have a great green chile chicken recipe goin' on there bro. Might have to do one up for my gal ...sans chile's ..she's a wimp. Cheers, TB.

DD, I've made similar soups but have never tried it with pepper jack cheese. That sounds great and I for one am going to try it.

Back