• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Green Chile Stuffed Chops

I whipped up a batch of really thick Green Chile sauce and some Arroz Mexicana to go with it.

Arroz Mexicana
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/arroz-mexicana-this-is-the-classic-mexican-rice.253258/

Green Chile Sauce
2T bacon grease
1/2c minced onion
1/2T minced garlic
1/4t cumin
1/2t Mexican oregano
Salt/pepper to taste
2T flour
1-1/2c pork or chicken stock
1c finely chopped green chile (or whatever chiles you like)

Saute onion and garlic in grease till opaque, add flour, cumin and cook for a few minutes more.
Add stock and bring to a boil, cook till thickened, add chiles and oregano and simmer for 5-10 minutes depending on how thick you want it.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.

5cUqEXq.jpg

Green Chile Stuffed Chops

(Note, you can use whatever chiles you like)

You need big, thick chops with plenty of room to stuff'em, and thick enough that you have plenty of time for smoking without over cooking.
You can smoke them all the way or finish them on the grill or in a frying pan.
I like to truss mine and keep those slippery chiles from sliding out during the cook.

Two inch thick boneless chops hand carved off tomorrow's pork loin, wet brined for 6 hours and then butterflied.
Seasoned inside and out with a mix of Prairie Dust and granulated garlic/onion, then stuffed with onion, green chile and cheese.
Trussed shut and into a 225°-250° smoker over some mesquite for an hour and a half, then seared in cast iron.

bZaMIQV.jpg

GeXPTGw.jpg

DcrZKJM.jpg

The Finale!

vanLAbz.jpg

n69fKaw.jpg

Back