• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Greenhouse in Winter - Pacific Northwest USA

PaulG

eXtreme
This is a reply to a question about the One Stop Gardens 6x8 greenhouse's ability to handle a snow load. Posting here in case others want to see this kit 'in action'. If you want more info about the kit and assembly there's a thread in Grow Tech - "One Stop Garden...'

Thanks for your interest. It's really a pretty solid little unit. Being an aluminum frame held together with screws there is a slight amount of 'wiggle', but it's negligible. I haven't even had to tighten up the screws since I assembled it in September 2007. We don't have a lot of snow here, but we have had a couple of snow dumps and the greenhouse didn't even notice the load. Another time we had about 3/4 inch of freezing rain and it just melted and slid away eventually. IMHO unless you are going to get a foot of snow at a time, I wouldn't worry - just check to make sure it's okay periodically. I think the main worry would be the weight of a lot of snow pushing the roof Panels through the frame. A thin plywood (or?) cover on the roof would probably take care of that issue. These panels have handled 1/4 inch hail with no problems, as well. Here are some photos of winter 2008 so you can get an idea. This is a lot of snow for us here at 200 feet elevation! Also, we had an extended period of below freezing weather, with lows at night down to 17F. The snow cover insulated the little space, so the heater kept it above freezing, but the plants didn't like it much, especially over-wintering jade plants:

DSCN0632sm.jpg

The table at the left is 4 feet wide, so you can get an idea of the snow depth.

DSCN0641sm.jpg

The little space heater kept the inside relatively warm, that is at 38 or 39F. Notice how the snow is melting off the roof - almost gone at the ridge top.

DSCN0660sm.jpg

This is the back of the greenhouse, facing South, the direction of prevalent wind in our neighborhood.

DSCN0659sm.jpg

The snow melts off and freezes into icicles. One or two eventually reached the ground.

nice,reminds me of upstate n.y.,,watertown,,,30 miles from canada. we would grow stuff in are basements in winter because the green houses couldnt take it.

I wish we had a basement. Here in this area every thing's on a slab with a crawl space. Wow, from the canadian border to sunny Florida. You can' get much more variety than that!

What kind of wind can she take? We had gusts of 50-60mph a few times last spring. I'm debating buying vs building me a greenhouse....

What kind of wind can she take? We had gusts of 50-60mph a few times last spring. I'm debating buying vs building me a greenhouse....

We get winds of sustained 25 mph often. Gusts of 40-45 are not real common, but we do get them. So far, so good. Sixty mph winds are pretty serious - when we get those here we get lots of downed doug firs! My greenhouse is about 12 feet from a wood fence on the prevailing wind side, and there is a large Japanese Black Pine that also protects it a bit from SE winds, so it does have a little bit of a wind break. I think one could somehow thread wire through little holes in the frame to help hold the panels in just to be safe. I was considering doing that, but it's not enough of a problem to warrant that kind of effort! There are greenhouse kits that look way more substantial, but they are really expensive, in my view.

Back