Greetings from Michigan!

Hi folks!

I started growing hot peppers last year, got a habanero and a jalapeno from Home depot.

This year I decided to start them from seed, here is what I'm currently growing:
  • Carolina Reaper (supposedly)
  • Trinidad moruga scorpion (supposedly)
  • Aji Limon
  • Scotch Bonnet
  • Red Fresnos
  • Habaneros
  • Caribbean Red Habaneros
I've been perusing the forums since I seem to have a broad mites issue, I'll start a thread later on that. In the mean time I've sprayed some neem oil and ordered some lacewings larvae, hope they help.

Will also need some help identifying the reapers and scorpions since they don't look as they should...

20210608_200852.jpg

20210608_130425.jpg

20210606_095105.jpg

20210606_095318.jpg

Cheers!

Definitely got aphids. Doesn't look too bad yet hit with some neem or dawn dish soap and should be gone. Why are just the reapers and morugas a "supposedly"? You can't tell most times if plant isn't what you thought variety wise until it flowers. Species you can to a extent, but from your pictures they look like any old chinense. So regardless you gonna have some hot peppers for sure. Also welcome!

tylerdodd25_92 said:
Definitely got aphids. Doesn't look too bad yet hit with some neem or dawn dish soap and should be gone. Why are just the reapers and morugas a "supposedly"? You can't tell most times if plant isn't what you thought variety wise until it flowers. Species you can to a extent, but from your pictures they look like any old chinense. So regardless you gonna have some hot peppers for sure. Also welcome!
Thanks! One of the scotch bonnet isn't looking as nice, will post pics later.

They already have pods on it and they don't look the way I'd expect them to.

"Reapers":
20210608_130642.jpg

"Trinidad Moruga":
20210608_130500.jpg
20210608_130454.jpg

Decyborg said:
Thanks! One of the scotch bonnet isn't looking as nice, will post pics later.

They already have pods on it and they don't look the way I'd expect them to.

"Reapers":
attachicon.gif
20210608_130642.jpg
"Trinidad Moruga":
attachicon.gif
20210608_130500.jpg
attachicon.gif
20210608_130454.jpg
Well you got your first taste of growing something for months just to realize you got duped. It really sucks people do that. Where did you aquire the seeds?

sicman said:
:welcome: ,aphids. They suck had to treat some plants yesterday morning. Good luck.

Hate them, I had them on my overwintered plants, but was used to seen them bigger with wings and all, that threw me off. Hopefully the lacewings arrive soon and the neem oil gets them under control.

tylerdodd25_92 said:
Well you got your first taste of growing something for months just to realize you got duped. It really sucks people do that. Where did you aquire the seeds?
Will wait until they ripen to try and identify them, I got them from Sandia seed.com as well as all the other seeds but the habaneros, but they seem to be what they should.

:welcome:  from the Pacific NorthWest!

+1 CaneDog and Tyler...

Welcome, neighbor!!

I've gotten seeds from trusted growers who isolate and still get hybrids.. Seems like there are a lot of ways to isolate, and some of them are far more effective than others. I'm learning to germinate more than I need to compensate for such surprises.. At least until I forget again. 

Sonchus and Solidago species are great for bringing aphid and other pest predators into the yard.. Sonchus is also an underrated edible. I currently have at least 5 active ladybug species, golden-eye and brown lacewings, as well as Hoverflies and others around in numbers. Some people freak out when they see the large black aphids that the ants will farm on Sonchus, but I have yet to find a single infestation of them on any of my Nightshade family plants. 

Good luck with your grow!

Back