Greetings from South Africa

Hello all,

I'm a newbie from South Africa.

This is going to be my first season growing chillies. So this fantastic site is going to be my home and wealth of knowledge - thank you. My babies are in the propagator as we speak. I have seeded: Naga Viper, Naga Morich, 7 Pot, Butch T, Bih Jolokia, Cherry Bomb, Black Pearl, Zim Birdseye, White Hab, Golden Hab, Red Hab, Tabsco, Hungarian Hot Wax, Big Jim, Quintisho Orange, Pimento, Biriya Mirch and lastly but not least... Fatalli. Im using an old aquarium, heat mat and lcd grow light at this stage.

Our Spring starts next month (August), which will be closely followed by our summer rains (rainy season), which goes September - April. Our winters here are short (May - July) and mild (-4/20°C) and no rain at all. Summer's here are low humidity (18/36°C). But we have hectic thunder storms every afternoon which frequently result in hail stones. So I will be investing in shade netting for sure!

My favorite chilli is the Black Pearl. Awesome looking plant and chillies. And while they are not the hottest chilli on the planet, hell the dried powder from those babies is full of flavor and aroma.

At this stage I must stand up and say "Hi, my name is Peri Peri and I am a chilli head. I have been a chilli head for as long as I can remember..." I love the burn and really am still looking for my breaking point. I acquired some "Infinity" chilli sauce a few months back and I must say, glugged the stuff like good medicine. But I am sure you guys will lead me to my flash point and I'm looking forward to it. Actually I lie, about a year ago I ate a chocolate hab on an empty stomach... I'm ashamed, but my deeper truth is I fell to a chocolate hab. Sob sob.

Should I establish that I do have green fingers and can actually grow chillies, my long term goal would be to play around with our own (african) Birdseye and Fatalii to create an African Hybrid.

I look forward to chatting to some of you no doubt and hope that with your help I will grow some really mean lookin' chillies!

PeriPeri.

Back