• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GregK's Peppers-2014

Well some history and updates:
A gardener for several years, and a newbee to the world of Super Hots I got started and hooked  last season when I got "wind " of the Carolina Reaper. Better late than never, I sowed seeds very early April, found this great forum, and bought some additional plants from Mad Hill Peppers. The knowledge that flows freely here was and is invaluable.

So, this season I got started way earlier and sowed some seeds at the end of January. Got off to a great start  but let roughly a half of the plants dry out. I had to nurse them back and for the most part they are doing OK. Stepped them them into 3.5 " containers,  into custom blend of soil, compost, grow mix, ect. Then I sowed a second batch and they got growing.

All this is being done inside using heat mat and t8 lights.

Now the problem. Fungus Gnats and more fungus gnats. Didn't think much of them other than pests until I realized my 2nd batch of peppers were growing way slow. Upon reading more on this forum about them eating the roots, I pulled em up and sure enough the roots are badly damaged. I repotted using only growmix. (I think I introduced them into the house via my soil mix).

Finally this weekend I moved everything into the greenhouse (unheated). Nighttime lows are still in the low to mid 40's but I felt the need to get them out of the  house.  a little early to tell but so far so good. Below are some photos of where I'm at with them. (Just prior to moving them into the greenhouse.

(Progress on a overwintered Habanero)

(Progress on a overwintered Reaper)

Trying the "stripping" pruning on some. 

I'm getting some "puckering " on some leaves. (See the leaves on the "After Stripping" on the Brainstrain) DO you think adding CalMag to my Fert program would be advisable?

Hey man your grow looks awesome!  Ca/Mg is an immobile nutrient so It won't help any of the leaves that are deficient at all.  To me they look absolutely fine.  Puckering and somewhat wrinkled leaves are a trait to C. Chinense peppers.  Wouldn't even worry about it.  But yes you can add that to the regimen if you'd like to and it won't hurt a thing.  So far they look damn good man!  Nice dense foliage with little space between nodes!  Keep it up.

Jamison- Thanks bro!

I was thinking they're too short and that might be a problem. Guess I'd better take more advise from the forum and don't over think the grow to much.

I'll keep you guys updated as the season gets going.

Thanks again for the kudos and good advise.

Back