• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Grim Reaper Foods' Raging Goblin Jalapeño Lime Extract

So here's another post from my blog, copied over in an attempt to catch up on the backlog. We're now only a couple of weeks behing so progress is being made. Honest.

Today, everyone, I'd like us to take a look at another item from Grim Reaper Food's gift box. Something that I didn't want to talk too much about at the time, for fear of ruining the company's biggest surprise.

2017-02-11-11-52-20.jpg

You see, what we have here may be a scary little bottle of extract but it's not like the rest of its kind. It's not about the heat.

No, unlike most extracts, the Grim Reaper's Raging Goblin isn't a concentrated resin of extreme chilli firepower. In fact, it isn't concentrated at all. It is hotter than the chillies it was made from but that's only due to the loss of their flesh.
Because what this product actually is is jalapeño juice. All the oils, both heat and flavour, from a good number of green jalapeños, mixed with a little bit of lime.
And it all comes packaged in a black-tinted aromatherapy oil bottle.

The label on that bottle is nothing new, really. We see the same zero-shading grim reaper, coming at the viewer, arms outstretched, and it's surrounded by a very similar set of items. We have the same chilli pepper scythe behind him and, while the flames on his right (our left) do burn a little higher, the main difference here is actually that they have solid edges instead of that sunset gradient that gave the Vengeance oil its eastern feel.

There has been a change to the bottle silhouette on his left (our right) but it's even subtler. It has simply become a little wider and shorter to reflect the containers for the Reaper's extracts, instead of the bigger bottles he uses for his sauces and oils.

It doesn't really say anything about the substance inside and nor does the white name above the figure but the small, dark bottle and eye dropper lid both strongly hint at this product's serious nature and that name, “Raging Goblin”, is quite unforgettable once you've tried it.

Just in case you do forget, though, there is a solid block of green flames around the bottom of this bottle, hinting at the flavour within and making it clearly distinct from the rest of the range. If only from the sides, where it's not covered by the art.

Because yes, despite technically being an extract, this is also a green jalapeño product. And you can tell.
Here's what it looks like in its pipette:

2017-04-10-12-15-34.jpg

An implement that's not just for show but actually incredibly useful too. It means you can have a great deal of control over the quantity you use, which is important with even this comparatively mild extract.

Still, before we talk about its heat, let's talk about what this product really is. It is, quite simply, the pure essence of jalapeño and lime flavour, with absolutely none of the bitter chemical taste you'd find in more concentrated extracts.

Fresh, green and citrusy, with just a hint of perfume from the zesty lime oil, the Raging Goblin isn't meant to be eaten as is. It's meant to be cooked with. It's meant to be added to drinks. It's meant to be used as an ingredient.

Is your rice too bland? Let it soak up a little of this as you finish frying it. Is your coke sadly limeless? A couple drops should fix that. Want to spice up a key lime pie? Grim Reaper Foods will even give you the recipe.
And that's just the start. There are countless other things you can do with this extract. Especially if you're into cocktail making.

But yes, while it's not what the Raging Goblin is intended for, this product can indeed be droppered directly onto the tongue as the first round in an extract challenge session.

For an extract, it is abnormally mild but it's still on the hotter end when compared to the more “natural” products. In fact, it hits with the same strength as an equally small drop of
[SIZE=300%]6/10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=300%]Heat[/SIZE]
sauce which, for a mere jalapeño, is mind blowing.

The slow, powerful burn of the Raging Goblin is above even what I'd expect of the fresh chilli itself, and definitely not something I'd expect to go with its green chilli taste, but it's not unenjoyable for someone as seasoned as myself and, with how easy it is to use just the tiniest of drops, no lover of chilli should have any trouble finding a place for it in food and drink.

It is, after all, as powerful in flavour as it is in heat, needing only the littlest bit to change up a dish.

And that flavour is so simple, so pure that it can be paired with an endless number of different things. You really shouldn't have any problem working out what to do with it but I've already listed a few uses if you do need ideas and I've also been told the fresh, green taste adds a great contrast to a rich, red chilli con carne.

It's a quick and easy way to add jalapeño to practically anything, perfect for any lover of green chillies.

And, if that's not your flavour of choice, there's a whole range of others in the Grim Reaper's extract line. Do be warned, though, the only other one this mild is their chipotle and orange “Sepulchre”.
The rest all work out at forty or above on my scale and, even if their potency is reduced by the tiny drop size, I still wouldn't advise them for people who aren't used to super hot sauces.

This and the Sepulchre, however, are a far more gentle entry point to the range that most people should be fairly comfortable with, so long as they have the common sense not to pour it on.

They are by far the most usable extracts I have ever come across and have completely changed my understanding of what such products are. They may have heat but they are very much a flavouring first and foremost.

Back