Grinding Pods

I'm new to growing peppers and cooking with them. The question I have (or questions) to start with is after the pod is picked and its time to dry them (air) should I remove the seeds before or after the pod is dry or would someone just explain the drying process?

When its time to grind the pepper the texture can be fine or course. Should the seeds be removed or left in and ground up. Im thinking both ways.

The peppers Im growing this summer are Tabasco peppers. Would they be normally dried or used in various other ways that may call for whole peppers.

What would Tabasco peppers be used for if not prepared as the traditional Tabasco sauce. I'm thinking making a salsa maybe and maybe some Venison Chili or Venison Curry? I've actually never tasted a Tabasco pepper but it sure is fun watching them grow. Pretty little things.

Next spring I'll try some of the other Tabascos.

Hey Tom, welcome...

Are you taking the seeds out to save them for growing next year? Someone else will have to explain that part of it if that is what you would like to do.

As far as drying the peppers....
I'd suggest that the chiles be cut open or in half to facilitate the drying process, especially if you are air drying. If you don't cut them open, the insides will stay moist way longer than the outside and increases the chance of mold growing (which we don't want!).

If you plan on grinding up the chiles for use as a dry spice, most people leave the seeds in, dry it all, and then grind them all up together.

There's a couple other threads going about grinding up dry chiles and what to use....coffee grinder, blender, food processor, blender base with a mason jar. All good options.

Good Luck, keep us posted....with pics if you can!

blender base with a mason jar
SL I have never thought of that,Thanks!Will definetly use that tip!
Tom, I use a dehydrator, you can get a good one for as little as $50..Just be sure to get one with temp control..and if you want viable seeds you need to dry at lowest setting ..about 90 degrees..Also the lower setting helps retain color in the pods.Red or Yellow powder is prettier than brown.Unless theyre Chocolates of course! :)

I've been reading about collecting the seeds for replanting and I will try that with a portion of the peppers and will dry and grind what I dont use in some chile or curry.
I do have a dehydrator and food processor and a coffee bean grinder so I should be set then. I'll post some pictures when I get a few more peppers on the plant. I'm starting to see more every day now on both plants. For sure I'll be dedicating a lot more of the garden to peppers next season. thanks Tom

here's the thread with some pics, and one of the mason jar blender. Good info.
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/15858-making-pepper-powder/

Most of us use cheapo coffee grinders with great success. Just don't use it for coffee :)
You only really need to remove seeds from larger pods, or pods containing a lot of seeds. If you left all the seeds in a poblano or even a chupetinha, you'd have nearly as much seeds as powder, and the seeds add some bitterness.
With tobasco peppers I'd leave the seeds in, which will keep in more placental tissue leaving a hotter pod. Use the powder on anything you want to add heat to. I use chile powders on almost every meal.

In India, generally people remove staalks and seeds before powdering the pods.

But the seeds have a different culinary use. They are used in making SAMBAR POWDER.

In some parts of India, seeds are ground along with pods.

Over here, I dunno but as Salsa lAdy wrote, you may use destalked pods with seeds.

Back