• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Grocery Store Pepper ID Help Please

Hi there.  I just got in from grocery shopping and these seemed to follow me home.  Now if I can get a little help with id'ng these it would be greatly appreciated.

#1 pepper I believe was a Banana Pepper
#2 pepper I was told is a Finger Pepper
#3 pepper was marked a Jalapeno on the receipt, but I do believe it is as I was looking at the Jalapeno's in the bin above and they were much smaller.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

[/URL]">http://

#1 is a banana pepper, i am finding them here too. #2 is a common serrano(finger pepper/jwala/pinochio can be found here but are like supersized cayenne in shape). #3 is an odd shape for a jalapeno, it be anaheim - i just did a google image search and found a picture that looks like #3 in the images.

good eating!

Awesome, thank you.  I will definitely look into this huge Anaheim.  I guess as I am new to this I still have a LOT of learning to do.  They were bought for the seeds anyways. :surprised:  In case anyone else in Canada wants, SuperStore was the place to be today, although the can would have given it away.

I will have to agree with the Anaheim after looking at it online. 

As for pepper #1, I looked at the Santa Fe Grande as well, and it does really resemble it.  But I will have to say that while at the store, there were many larger ones, as I just chose a smaller one as I was just using it for seeds, and so that my better half can taste it as I have 2 Banana Pepper plants started for pickling this fall.  The store member looked at his list and said that it is a Banana Pepper, but they have been known to be wrong. 

Thank you to all who have helped me.

that is were i saw these pepper too(yesterday) at the real canadian superstore; the banana peppers are advertised as just that but i would agree in some pictures santa fe and banana can look very similar and in some instances ripe santa fe can resemble fresno(which you can pick up at your local Safeways).

at my superstore the anaheims were listed as just that anaheim, that is why it was easy for me to recognized from your pics.

the problem you have with using store bought peppers for seeds, is you have to determine if the ripe state of the pepper is red, yellow or green. i think you will find most peppers need to be red in order for the seeds to be viable.

now on another item, i don't know if your superstore is displaying burpee seeds but if they are, you can pick up hot lemon, mix red & yellow habanero and banana pepper seeds. the hot lemon grow so well in our cooler nights and the fresh fruit taste like a lemon exploding in your mouth with a manageable heat level. i made some hot lemon powder and it is really nice. since i have never had yellow habanero i pick up a pack of mixed seeds, not interested in the red habs as i grow caribbean reds but may next year i will try to get some yellows.

Awesome. I may go looking for the Hot Lemon seeds for next year. I think I now have seeds for the next couple seasons, especially after my order of seeds came in today too. My local store here had only the standard peppers marked and listed, and none of what I bought was listed. Typical here. Thanks again.

Awesome. I may go looking for the Hot Lemon seeds for next year. I think I now have seeds for the next couple seasons, especially after my order of seeds came in today too. My local store here had only the standard peppers marked and listed, and none of what I bought was listed. Typical here. Thanks again.

I bought two packs of the Hot Lemon seeds from Burpee when I saw them at my local garden center, it was a nice find.  I was surprised there were so many seeds in one packet, 40-50 if I remember correctly. 

Buzzman19 said:
I bought two packs of the Hot Lemon seeds from Burpee when I saw them at my local garden center, it was a nice find.  I was surprised there were so many seeds in one packet, 40-50 if I remember correctly. 

Yep! Burpee seed packs come packed with LOTS of seeds!

Back