Grow Box Build

Trying to figure out where to put my peppers in the near future so I got an idea to try making a grow box out of some collapsible boxes we get at work. Not really sure if it's going to work work but........ I used heavy duty landscape barrier to keep the wood from rotting, wish me luck.

mAHPec3.jpg

YR4sDPm.jpg

meinchoh said:
Looks great! I'd keep an eye on soil temps in July and August when it really heats up. The black lining may raise the temps pretty high.

Not in a wood box, it won't.  But even so, warm roots and super hots = perfection.

I'd be more worried about how the wood was treated.  You did make sure that it was food safe, right?  Being that it says SKF, I'm assuming bearings, so probably no concern was given to food shipping and handling.  You don't want "stuff" leaching into your grow media...

But even so, warm roots and super hots = perfection.
There is warm and there is inferno :) Native temps for many are more ideally like 85-90 F. My summers are a brutally consistent 100+ at peak. Record here is 115F.  

I'm concerned about the black as well. Otherwise, I think it's a solid idea.

Myxlplyk said:
Or a pallet jack.
Casters are a lot cheaper :rofl: :rofl:
only works if you got a concrete patio or wooden deck. Still, being able to move around is a big plus.
Most crates and shipping boxes are made from untreated wood so you're good for a season. after that you got mulch, just watch for the metal pieces.

solid7 said:
Not in a wood box, it won't.  But even so, warm roots and super hots = perfection.

I'd be more worried about how the wood was treated.  You did make sure that it was food safe, right?  Being that it says SKF, I'm assuming bearings, so probably no concern was given to food shipping and handling.  You don't want "stuff" leaching into your grow media...
I looked it up,the wood is baked at higher temps to kill any insects in it,no pesticides or chems used on it,first thing I did when I brought them home.thanks for the heads up though.

Spicy Mushroom said:
There is warm and there is inferno :) Native temps for many are more ideally like 85-90 F. My summers are a brutally consistent 100+ at peak. Record here is 115F.  

Up here in NY it may get into the 90s but nothing to extreme. When I was wrapping them it didn't seem to warm-up in the sun at all, I figured the wood would insulate it anyways

Canes1 said:
 I figured the wood would insulate it anyways

Exactly right.
Spicy Mushroom said:

There is just no way that the sun can overheat the media in wood.  If you had a plastic nursery pot, yes.  Even a double layer nursery pot will adequately insulate against hot temps, so that 1/2"-3/4" wood, even more so.  What little bit of nursery cloth that will be showing won't be a problem.
Canes1 said:
I looked it up,the wood is baked at higher temps to kill any insects in it,no pesticides or chems used on it,first thing I did when I brought them home.thanks for the heads up though.

Good on you.  A lot of people don't know and/or think to check these things. ;)

This should be posted in "Grow Tech" where:Discuss lights, heaters, irrigation systems, greenhouses, and DIY solutions. Show off your inventions!

Canes1 said:
Not really sure of the difference.

"Grow box" is a term that's typically equated with sub-irrigated planters.  But since you're using landscape fabric, and make no mention of sealing the inside of the box, all indications are that you are building a raised bed. (too big to be considered a pot)

Hawaiianero said:
Casters are a lot cheaper :rofl: :rofl:
only works if you got a concrete patio or wooden deck. Still, being able to move around is a big plus.
Most crates and shipping boxes are made from untreated wood so you're good for a season. after that you got mulch, just watch for the metal pieces.

I agree. But in case you have one lying around... :party:

Back