• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Grow Box

Taking Inspiration from Milk_Man, I decided that I would try my hand at a grow box with lighting.

I sowed 30 odd Scotch Bonnet Seeds in Aug. So had something ready to go into them.

Its started off with a home made germination box. Had a heat mat, from moons back, decided that combined with a plastic container worked well.

On sowing
DSC00230.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

Having these decided I would need somewhere fro them to grow on.

Saw Milk_Mans thread on here, and seing I had limited space, went for a similar setup:

My grow box
DSC00237.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

I have since upgraded the bulb to a 20watt CFL.

I am thinking that I may need to relocate the bulb soon ascurrently it sinks deep into the box when the lid is on, leaving it as it as it means the light is cm's above the seedlings at the moment.

Also there are plans to add a PC fan to the box. Help ventilation and heat distribution I am hoping.

gonzomagic said:
I have since upgraded the bulb to a 20watt CFL.
Also there are plans to add a PC fan to the box. Help ventilation and heat distribution I am hoping.

If you don't ventilate or cool that box you will kill your plants.

willard3 said:
If you don't ventilate or cool that box you will kill your plants.

Well, at the moment, the lid sits to one side giving it large gap for air until I get my fan on, but didnt think I needed to cool them, its not exactly that warm here. I am actually worried about it not being warm enough?

Same time your the second person who has mentioned that. I think I may get a little trigger happy with a drill.

You know what might be kind cool? Use some 120mm PC case fans. But I would see how hot the inside gets first then figure out how beefy of a fan you will need. Still would look cool and clean because you could drill a round opening into the side of your case then mount the fan with screws. Just have to come up with a nice power source for it.

A small space like that can get hot fast.

I had an open aquarium get so hot the seedlings croaked. It had no lid, just a bulb over the top.

Maybe in regards to the PC fan idea I had a case like this would be perfect if you had (depending on strength) one or two fans mounted in the lid then one fan mounted on each end of the case. This would get air into the case and warm air out.

Hey Gonzo...you need a grow setup like this...

garagegrowroomyz1.jpg

AlabamaJack said:

garagegrowroomyz1.jpg

That is awesome. I'm going to use that as planning material for my own garage I reckon. Only problem is I don't have a garage.

Hey gonzo, pretty easy to setup aren't they?

I agree that its probably best you get some air flow in there, it will benefit the plants in the long run. As someone else has mentioned, an old pc case fan is pretty ideal for this, just to get air flow moving inside the box.

cheezydemon said:
I think 1 fan would do.

Well, I have a lof of old and new ones from PC's built. Adding one should be simple, I am no expert at electrics though, however have a plan for wiring for this.

AlabamaJack said:

garagegrowroomyz1.jpg

Thats cracking. But I live in a apartment that is just big enough for me to get my knickers off.

buggedcom said:
That is awesome. I'm going to use that as planning material for my own garage I reckon. Only problem is I don't have a garage.

:(. Me neither. However I wish I did have one, it would house my car bits. With a corner for the chillies I guess.

MiLK_MaN said:
Hey gonzo, pretty easy to setup aren't they?

I agree that its probably best you get some air flow in there, it will benefit the plants in the long run. As someone else has mentioned, an old pc case fan is pretty ideal for this, just to get air flow moving inside the box.

Hey mate, it was for me, considering it was cheap, and fits into the corner of the room. I still think I need better ligting as I have a 20w CFL Bulb, maybe gor for a 30watt Daylight instead? Maybe even a LED Blue setup.

Contemplating even a Myler refelctive lining for the box?

I didn't notice you were in London Gonz...sorry 'bout that...

AlabamaJack said:
I didn't notice you were in London Gonz...sorry 'bout that...

No probs mate. Well, I am all over the place, at the moment in Yorkshire (200 miles north of London). London being my home.

Generally though, the houses in the UK dont come in US sizes. Unless you have some serious wedge.

understand...have been there several times...most of the time down around Chatham/Rochester...(used to go to Marconi before BAES bought them out)

Back