Grow light issue...

I thought my bulb had burned out so I replaced it.  Unfortunately, no light out of the new bulb either.

What sorts of things can go wrong with a ballast?  It has power, it outputs power, not sure what else to check.

120v in, 120v out.  Is that normal?  What does a ballast do, exactly?

Sounds like your Ignitor has gone  they are cheap you just got to find them online also should replace the capacitor while you are in there Or just take it to the hydro shop and they can fix it for you. (The Ignitor is what fires the bulb)

I think Gargoyle hit the nail on the head.
FYI I've seen a digital burst into flames right before my eyes for no good reason at all, it was only about 6 months old. Shot a blue flame out the end of it about 18" for 30 seconds then smoldered with yellow flames til my friend got the exstinguisher on it. Thank goodness we were in the room when it happened.

Never seen that with the old magnetic style.

Checking my old email, this is the item description of what I ordered:  "600W HPS Digital Ballast, Bulb and Economy Reflector Combo- 120", and the label on it states that it accepts both HPS/MH.  I have an HPS bulb in it now.

I'll read through that troubleshooting page when I get some time this afternoon, thanks.

hogleg said:
I think Gargoyle hit the nail on the head.
FYI I've seen a digital burst into flames right before my eyes for no good reason at all, it was only about 6 months old. Shot a blue flame out the end of it about 18" for 30 seconds then smoldered with yellow flames til my friend got the exstinguisher on it. Thank goodness we were in the room when it happened.

Never seen that with the old magnetic style.

Shit, thats pretty scary... however, I´ve read about many magnetic ballast going up in smoke.... I only have digital ones and they are good so far. However, its not the cheap once. I would NEVER buy cheap electrical stuff from ebay etc. I rather pay 100 dollars extra for CE approved goods from a know supplier ;)

I not gonna name the brand. But it was the HIGH end shit with licensed commercial electrical. I've heard plenty of nightmares about both.

Knock, Knocks on wood for all of us. :pray:

True, but Im following a lot of threads on some other boards were they grow other kind of plants. It seem like the main issue every time something ignite is the lack of air! Ballasts, fans, air pumps etc buried in corners or under shit loads of stuff, tucked away in a small compartment eg. Well, thats a recipe for disaster no matter what you put in there :) I have my compressor built inside a fireproof material box. Takes up to 3500 C degrees for 20 minutes. It has good ventilation. And all my ballasts are hung i a large room on a concrete wall with loads of air around them. As with any electrical appliances, take care and let it breath! Or else..... 

Back