• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Grow light, recommendation? First choice won't work out.

Somebody had posted a link to Growace, and with my limited experience they seemed like a good place to buy from. It was my birthday this weekend so I thought what the hell, I'm gonna buy me some lights.

My first choice was this: http://growace.com/product_info/600w-hps-hml-umbrella-reflector-digital-ballast-grow-light-kit.html

It's not the lowest W they sell and it's not the highest, so the medium amount of Ws sounded good for the money. Can take both types of bulbs, so I don't have to choose if I want to grow or flower, it can do both. Problem 1, they're out of stock. Whatever, I don't know what the exchange rate is on Ws per pepper, I'll just go down to 400W. Pick out the equivalent 400W and try to order it. The damn page refuses to take my money. I assume it's something to do with me being Canadian, as their "shipping rate" field was blank despite saying I'd have to take Fedex Ground. Their support hasn't gotten back to me in 2 days, so I'm gonna look elsewhere.

Can anybody more familiar with the tech and the vendors suggest something like the above for a comparable price that ships to Canada? Bonus points if you can explain to me why I'm a pepper newb for choosing the above, and improve upon the recommendation.

More growability is better, but for my immediate concerns I have 2 Butch Ts and a pumpkin hab that I'd like to get under a light for overwintering / producing. They're already inside as it already snowed here once. :rolleyes:

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

600w is pretty good considering where you live. its probably overkill for just getting plants started over winter, but considering your short ass growing season...

i had a 600w HPS for a while, but i stopped using it because i simply dont grow enough plants to fill out its footprint. i bought a 400w Solistek ballast for like 120 bucks last year which i seriously love. i used it as a shop light when i was residing my moms house... its pretty much cool to the touch... so id definatly recommend solistek stuff... but i forget where i bought it, and defiantly don't know if they ship to canada. sorry.

ive also heard good things about the revolt ballasts, which are basically the cheapest ballasts available. they apparently do ship to canada
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lighthouse-Hydro-Revolt-600W-HPS-MH-Digital-Dimmable-Ballast-for-Grow-Lights-/230758325465?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

Idk much about that reflector, it seems like an a paraboloid shape would be the most optimal... but who knows. i assume you are going to be heating your place with this light to some extent and dont need to air cool your light so maby an aircooled hood like that umbrella thing is best.

edit: oh yea.. if you do choose to get a hood that holds the bulb in a vertical postition like that, make sure your bulb is rated for VERTICAL positions... many bulbs are only rated for one position, some are universal position. it probably doesn't matter a whole lot... but its something i personally follow.

I ordered the following:

http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/600w-hps-digital-ballast-bulb-and-economy-reflector-combo-120-p-417.html

Thanks for the recommendation, TIN.

Back