• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2021 XL Antep Aci Cross

Mr. Joe, I picked one off of a different plant. This was the one I had planned on weighing from, but some of these others in the dragster tires and feed buckets are looking pretty good. The tires have no bottom, so they might end up doing better than the big tote things, who knows...

I've got a couple that are getting close...

OYw3NMk.jpg

Time for a little update on my plant. After my first flush of pods and subsequent weigh-in I transplanted the plant from the 2 gal pot into the giant bag. Then things changed, the plant got super "bugged" out and then in it's weakened state we had a wind event that pretty well defoliated it. I thought for sure I was out for the year as the backup plant looked even worse! Here's how it looked about a month ago:

2BE97457-3310-4074-8854-4853A826F981.jpeg

But, miraculously it has started to come back. This is how it looks today:

89B9683E-8635-4BD3-969E-2C6B719168C1.jpeg

And it's podding up again too.

54B47AF1-E15F-40C7-B0C7-3ECB7158CE59.jpeg

CB7D9EB9-EAAE-4D43-9353-BE5C909CC791.jpeg

skullbiker said:
Time for a little update on my plant. After my first flush of pods and subsequent weigh-in I transplanted the plant from the 2 gal pot into the giant bag. Then things changed, the plant got super "bugged" out and then in it's weakened state we had a wind event that pretty well defoliated it. I thought for sure I was out for the year as the backup plant looked even worse! Here's how it looked about a month ago:

2BE97457-3310-4074-8854-4853A826F981.jpeg

But, miraculously it has started to come back. This is how it looks today:

89B9683E-8635-4BD3-969E-2C6B719168C1.jpeg

And it's podding up again too.

54B47AF1-E15F-40C7-B0C7-3ECB7158CE59.jpeg

CB7D9EB9-EAAE-4D43-9353-BE5C909CC791.jpeg

I kinda prefer the first picture. I believe it's best if you pull all the leaves off again and get those peppers on the scale today

Just about everywhere else in my garden, things are going great.

Except for my competition Growdown Throwdown entry.  :confused:

All I've got to share today is bad, worse, and worst....

First, for the bad.  I had a weigh in of 99 grams.  But I accidentally deleted the weigh in pictures instead of copying them. :banghead:

The worse part is I was only able to recover just the picture showing how pepper borers had gotten into one of my weigh in peppers.

TJ3zXi9.jpg

Now for the worst.  Today when I checked on my plants, I found my competition plant's got a horrible case of the wilts. :mad:

cgSwwbJ.jpg

We've had three or four straight weeks of rain nearly every day.  My guess is that all this rain had been wearing that plant's root system down.

I should have had one of my plants in a grow bag.  Usually, putting them in the ground gives me my biggest and best plant.  But a grow bag is good for when the plant is sensitive to torrential rain.

That certainly sucks DP.

I've actually had that happen too. I don't know about down your way, but we got voles (meadow mice) here. They use mole tunnels (or make their own) under your plant and eat the roots. I actually watched a bean sprout disappear underground. Couldn't believe it. So now when I see a plant wilted, I stick my finger in the ground beside it. Nine times outta ten there's a big cavern under the plant. If so, I press it down and water the heck out of it. If there's any roots left, it will survive.

DownRiver said:
I've actually had that happen too. I don't know about down your way, but we got voles (meadow mice) here. They use mole tunnels (or make their own) under your plant and eat the roots. I actually watched a bean sprout disappear underground. Couldn't believe it. So now when I see a plant wilted, I stick my finger in the ground beside it. Nine times outta ten there's a big cavern under the plant. If so, I press it down and water the heck out of it. If there's any roots left, it will survive.

I've never had voles as far as I know.  I just double-checked, and I didn't see any obvious signs of voles, such as tunneling or gnawing.

From what I understand, voles reproduce prolifically, so I'll know soon enough if I've got a vole infestation.

Long time no GT update from me...! After a never ending struggle with all kind of weather related problems (extended drought, some hailstorms, colder than usual temps followed by several episodes of torrential rain) I finally found 2 little pods this morning. Strange summer up to now around here, hopefully things will get better in the upcoming weeks.

Attachments

• 20210718.jpg
    20210718.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 64
Back