Growing Black Pearls

Hello all.

I have a lot of sprouts starting that I am excited about. Some of those being black pearl peppers.
 I love the color the plants will have and the purple flowers which will turn into HOT peppers eventually.

Has anyone ever grown these before and do they require any different care than "normal" or should I say common pepper types? This will be my first ornamental and I am just curious to know a liitle info from anyone who can share.

Thanks,

The PepperDaddler

Peppers no good? Oh well...

Just something to look at anyway. Know of any other types that look interesting or different color wise? I would like to add to my collection.

They aren't terrible tasting, but they aren't great tasting either. Kind of a hint of earthiness. They have a pretty decent heat level. I pop one off my plant and eat it when I see a red one, so it's not like they aren't edible.

You could try Goats Weed if you want a unique looking plant. Some nurseries sell Black Cobra, which might be the same thing as Goats Weed. If they aren't the same, they are pretty close.

This is my 2nd year growing. Hot little peppers, as stated by others, they do not have the best taste when fresh. They dry nicely for rubs. I will be smoking this year's pods prior to drying to make my powders. For the most part, I wouldn't rely on them for pods, just consider them a gorgeous ornamental plant that will add incredible contrast to your flowerbeds. They have no special requirements.

Pimenta de neyde have an OK taste .. Not great. Black pearl are great looking plants ... No special care needed .... They taste OK dried but not so good fresh
I should qualify my remarks on the Pimenta De Neyde ... Although they do have a distinct Chinense flavour to them they also have a bitterness that comes through which spoils the overall flavour in my opinion

Thank you all for the info. Googled a lot of the varieties. Still like the look of the black pearl but that goats weed is interesting.

armac said:
all pepper plants are beautiful, grow for taste not looks, look into some scotch bonnets
Nahh. Go for both. Plants with pods that look as good as they taste. Ghost scorpions being one of many that fall into that category. Hp22b. Goronong. Some 7pots. I like the pods that have that look like melted wax, like theres so much heat inside that it melted the pod lol..

ghost scorpion grower said:
Nahh. Go for both. Plants with pods that look as good as they taste. Ghost scorpions being one of many that fall into that category. Hp22b. Goronong. Some 7pots. I like the pods that have that look like melted wax, like theres so much heat inside that it melted the pod lol..
how many of the pods that you mentioned, have you tried so far?

ghost scorpion grower said:
 Just checked those out. Definately what I am going for this year. Would like to get those varieties.

PepperDaddler said:
Just checked those out. Definately what I am going for this year. Would like to get those varieties.
Well this year you might have some trouble finding allot of those as most places that sell live plants only have a certain amt of stock. Id try the place where I got mine. I know he still has some reapers and some 7pots still and some others that might have the same look. Check it out though
Superhotchiles.com then goto store and select live plants. That was the easiest way I found to get allot of the varieties I have was mail order. 16 plants was about $90 after shipping but sense you can save the seeds for nexr year the cost is well worth it!

Ill have to agree with armac. For most taste will supersede looks and heat level. Scotch bonnets are excellent for taste. Then again we all have different opinion on what taste good.

Hers a couple purples ones.
null_zps939bd18c.jpg

Btw Disneyland grows black pearls :)

in the end are you growing a plant for the plant, or for the peppers?

and do you grow a pepper for its appearance or for its taste?

they are neat plants, but i would rather devote space to a better, tastier pepper.

that being said, i still have a few growing from a planting 5 years ago, they are hardy plants.

I have grown both five color marble and bolivian rainbow in the past, they are a nice looking ornamental plant with fairly good tasting peppers, just not enough heat for my husband, but make for colorful additions to dishes, with a little heat kick.  The bolivian rainbow has more color in leaves and better tasting peppers to me.  I bought the seeds from PepperJoe

Back