Growing Conditions Sweet vs Hot?

Ok I’m real new at this Pepper growing stuff and I’m pretty sure without the info I have found on this site not one of my plants would be alive today. Now with that said I am slowly getting the hang of growing hot peppers, but it seems the same fundamentals are killing my sweet peppers. Using the same soil, sulfur, lime, fish emulsion etc. , bi-weekly Epsom salt spray, sweet peppers are either dwarfed and not growing, sickly looking, leaves either yellow falling off, or under constant attack from whatever is nibbling or curling the leaves.  You name it they probably got it. But it is isolated to just the Bells. Yellows are the worst. On my fifth plant of the Yellows. All my stuff is above ground in large containers right next to each other and they are the only ones struggling for their lives, it’s unfortunate I can’t use my land to plant on because I do have a couple of acres, but it is infested with squirrels, rabbits and so many gophers I gave up a long time ago planting anything in the ground except for cactus, not to mention the heat out here during the summer where shade cloth is a must. So containers have been the only way for me to have some control over the growing conditions. So are Hot Peppers so different to grow than Sweet Peppers in containers, specifically Bell Peppers. Bell Peppers hate me and I’m starting to take it personally. 

Sweet peppers and hot peppers require the same type of care. The thing is that each variety has its own variations. I have grown 48 varieties, mostly chinenses, and can tell you it is important to listen to each individual plant regarding its care. For example, some uptake water more rapidly than others, so require more frequent watering. You need to watch each plant for signs it needs watering (ie - leaves start to droop) and don't water them all at the same time for convenience. Sorry - your peppers are in control of your life, not you!!! LOL

Yellowing is most often caused by overwatering, which is why I mention that particular aspect. Over-parenting in general is another thing that can kill off your plants - too much fertilizer, too much messing with them, etc. It's easy to overdo it when you're new to growing them.

Point Taken Gemee. I really swore I would never get this involved with my plants. But I must say before I knew it I was spending a little too much time in the garden. Over Parenting??? Who me?  :confused:  

You should check your soil pH. Sulfur will lower it and lime increases it. You shouldn't have to do both. I also think you may be overdoing the mag treatment. I do foliar spraying twice a season not twice a week.

Back