• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

growing contest for heaviest pepper

Itoero said:
The heaviest pepper was 566 g. I'm mentioned on giantgardening.com
I'm the guy from Belgium:) http://giantgardening.com/rec_pepper-sweet.php

I now grow the Gurneys Giant.
The plant splitted in 3 stems.
Should I remove a stem? Should I do fruitpruning to grow the heaviest pepper?

If your plant is splitting stems, it probably needs some support.
To grow the heaviest pepper, you eliminate competition from siblings.  Meaning, find the one that looks like it has the most potential, and then take all of the other peppers off the plant.  One giant pepper per plant.
Also, the only thing proven to grow anything to its full potential is... wait for it... Optimal conditions.  Easier said than done!

This one if im lucky...Tekne Dolmasi...Ive got a Big Jim Heritage going too.
hpim5422.jpg

solid7 said:

If your plant is splitting stems, it probably needs some support.
To grow the heaviest pepper, you eliminate competition from siblings.  Meaning, find the one that looks like it has the most potential, and then take all of the other peppers off the plant.  One giant pepper per plant.
Also, the only thing proven to grow anything to its full potential is... wait for it... Optimal conditions.  Easier said than done!
If I let a pepper grow on the third stem, will the photosynthetic energy from the other stems feed the pepper on the third stem?
Do all the leaves work for the pepper on the third stem?

Itoero said:
If I let a pepper grow on the third stem, will the photosynthetic energy from the other stems feed the pepper on the third stem?
Do all the leaves work for the pepper on the third stem?

I think you're looking for something more along the lines of conservation, rather than reallocation.  If you're asking if the plant is going to magically re-route it's energy stores to one single fruit, the answer is no.
Roots spread out to pick up nutrients.  They extend roughly to the diameter of the drip line.  When you pluck excess fruit, you get the benefit of the roots, but without the burden of the excess fruit. (since vegetation uses less energy than fruiting)  It's a better food web, that's all.

solid7 said:

I think you're looking for something more along the lines of conservation, rather than reallocation.  If you're asking if the plant is going to magically re-route it's energy stores to one single fruit, the answer is no.
Roots spread out to pick up nutrients.  They extend roughly to the diameter of the drip line.  When you pluck excess fruit, you get the benefit of the roots, but without the burden of the excess fruit. (since vegetation uses less energy than fruiting)  It's a better food web, that's all.
ah ok so 2 or maybe 1 stem is better for growing a heavy pepper?
How does the sapstream go in a pepperplant?
It is thought that leaves above the pepper provide the nutrients. But those leaves need nutrients to be built...this imo, implies the nutrients can travel in opposite direction in a stem.

I wouldn't got pruning and trimming a plant that's meant to win a competition.
I'm not exactly sure where the science you quoted came from, but when my plants are damaged, and I have to amputate a branch, I don't lose fruit below it.
It would be best just to start with fruit plucking. Again, my standard recommendation... run the experiment side-by-side, with multiple plants in each experiment group. (including the control)

Itoero said:
I think I won the contest.
Look at this baby:)
It's a goliath pepper.
There are several big peppers on the plant, but this is the biggest one so far.

And this is the super heavy weight pepper:
There is also an elongated bell pepper and a broad bell ppepper on the same super heavy weight pepper plant...it's a weird plant. 

Itoero said:
Here are heavier Goliath peppers.
There is one super heavy weight pepper that might become even heavier.

And this is the heaviest of the two:

Holy smokes these are huge! 

TheTRPV1Agonist said:
Anyone out there have any big chinense's?
The two biggest that I've seen are 7 pot burgundy, and Chocolate Bhutlah. But none of those are on the order of what the OP posted.

Back