• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

growing for money???

ok i guess i was wondering how much does pepper plants and lets say tomato plants cost maybe a few others but for now what does these cost in the stores??? say they are 12 inches or so maybe less ... i have a few hydro systems just laying around and i was thinking on starting some plants up and selling them later when season starts ??? i was thinking around 100 plants in a 4x4 system flood and drain .. small buckets and i would be using soilless mix ?? under lights cant for get that, i am thinking about 2 8 bulb T-5 lights ...

Redeyes,

How many people are going to buy plants that are not in a container? Not to mention, in 16 sq. ft., even if the plants are in 3" containers, you can grow nearly 300 plants.

But go for it - I am. I plan on starting well over 1100 plants and hopefully sell most of them. Mostly tomatoes and peppers but a cucumber and a couple of flowers.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Redeyes,

How many people are going to buy plants that are not in a container? Not to mention, in 16 sq. ft., even if the plants are in 3" containers, you can grow nearly 300 plants.

But go for it - I am. I plan on starting well over 1100 plants and hopefully sell most of them. Mostly tomatoes and peppers but a cucumber and a couple of flowers.

Mike

maybe you need to ready my post again... i did say in buckets!!!
do you really think 300 plants??? how much for 1 plant???:?:

Go for the super-hots & track down how you can post the living plant.

Get them started now & sell established, viable plants at the start of Spring...you wont be able to grow enough of them.

Redeyes,

I see the buckets part now but you did mention soiless. Consumers are strange, they want to see bushy plants with a lot of foliage, preferably blooms and a rootball the size of a softball. People pay $5.95 for a tomato plant because it "looks good" even though it won't produce fruit any earlier than the one in a 2" cell.

I figure at least 72 plants in 21"x11" space. Those are 2" cells . A 4-foot long area will easily hold two flats long and you can fit at least 4 rows of these. I got these http://www.novoselenterprises.com/products/single.asp?ID=6555 and these larger ones (to cater to those "bigger is better" buyers): http://www.novoselenterprises.com/products/single.asp?ID=593160

For what it is worth, tobacco growers raise their plants in 242-cell trays with each cell being 1" square at the top and half that size at the bottom.

From my playings this fall, I heartily recommend transplanting tomatoes, more so than peppers. Toms have this propensity to get leggy when they first germinate no matter what kind or how strong the light. I let them get about 2.5" tall then move them into 3" or deeper containers and bury them to just below their leaves.

One other thing I have found is that if you try significantly increasing the intensity of the light after the plant has become use to its surroundings, the plants will lose their leaves and get very sick. Dunno why, but it has happened with both LEDs and CFL bulbs.

Good luck,

Mike

bentalphanerd said:
Go for the super-hots & track down how you can post the living plant.

Get them started now & sell established, viable plants at the start of Spring...you wont be able to grow enough of them.

Bent,

You would think that in a place where the #1 food is chili, hot peppers would be extremely popular. But not in this town. I haven't met a person yet, even at the fair where I had a huge display of peppers, that has heard of a Bhut Jolokia or any of its relatives. I'm sowing several types: Sweet Banana, a California Wonder Bell, Jalapeno, Tabasco, Cayenne, Hungarian Hot Wax, Habenero, Red Savina and Bhuts but only 36 of each. But the fewest toms I'm sowing is 72 and I'll have 108 of three types.

Of course, I have no idea how many I will sell.

Mike

wordwiz said:
From my playings this fall, I heartily recommend transplanting tomatoes, more so than peppers. Toms have this propensity to get leggy when they first germinate no matter what kind or how strong the light. I let them get about 2.5" tall then move them into 3" or deeper containers and bury them to just below their leaves.

Mike

Mike, That is a really good trick to do. I even do it with peppers after the 1st transplanting. I have been known to do that several times with maters even after I set them in the garden.

Back