• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Growing from seed outdoors

Happy Labor Day, friends. Hope everyone is enjoying a nice day off.

Quick question about germinating and caring for seedlings outdoors. So far, all my plants have been started from seed just out on my balcony on a shelf with no grow lights. Just soil, water, and partial shade. I have noticed that a good portion of my seedlings end up pretty leggy. 

I suspect they get too much shade and not enough sunlight, but I also don't want to roast them in direct sunlight. I get a good amount of direct sunlight on the balcony (6-8 hrs/day). In your opinion, would a good solution be to put the seed trays in direct sunlight, but behind a lighter shade cloth? I figure it would be less shaded than on the shelf, but not too much heat. 

Thoughts?

Mahalo in advance

Edit: Follow up question: In your opinion, do you think indoor with grow lights is the only way to go for starting out pepper plants from seeds? 

I have a not entirely dissimilar climate to yours (at my Florida house), so I'll just tell you what I do.
I like deep starter containers - the large plastic Solo cups - filled with pure coco coir or maybe coco and a bit of perlite/rice hulls.  Before they sprout, I put them in indirect sunlight.  Basically, that's shade, but not deep dark shade.  I have a covered porch, and they never get leggy.  After they sprout, and get some leaves, I just slowly start inching them (daily) closer and closer to full sun.  My porch does have screen, so that's still not full sun, but it's also no longer indirect/shade.  After they get to the size that I want to plant them, they go out in full sun.   All of this typically takes about 1-2 months.  It's been absolutely 100% reliable for me.
In our respective areas, this works well, on account of the insane UV index.  If your plants are leggy, they may be too cool in the roots, and/or too shady for extended periods of time.  My idea of indirect light, is that type of shade that is never comfortable to sit in.  You have "cool in the shade" type of shade, and you have "why even bother" type of shade.  We're looking for "why even bother", in this case. :D

Hey thanks solid, that's really helpful. I wasn't even aware of "UV Index". I just did a quick search for my area, and the index ranges from 10 - 12.5. Not sure how to interpret that, but it seems high. haha

You mention that your plants go in full sun when they reach your desired size. What size is that, ideally, for you?

Ikaika said:
Hey thanks solid, that's really helpful. I wasn't even aware of "UV Index". I just did a quick search for my area, and the index ranges from 10 - 12.5. Not sure how to interpret that, but it seems high. haha

You mention that your plants go in full sun when they reach your desired size. What size is that, ideally, for you?

Yes, anything over 11 is extreme, but 10 is pretty nasty. 
Size is a regional determination.  I like to know that when I put it out, it's big enough that a hornworm, for example, won't chew the whole thing to a stub in one sitting.  I don't really know how to describe it, other than, "the plant looks about right".  They should be as big as, or bigger than what you'd buy, if you were purchasing "ready to install" plants.  Good growth, well hardened off, some leeway for unplanned disasters.  Probably not a great answer, but it's good to develop this type of thinking, to help you develop a good understanding of how to approach planting in your specific conditions.  In truth, not all peppers are the same stage of development at a given height, # of leaves, etc.  Just get 'em growing really good before they go into the ground.

Back