• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing hot chillies at latitude 59 degrees, north?

I am in touch with an individual from India who is now living off the coast of Scotland on the island Papa Stronsay. With the short growing season, and no artificial lighting, he has successfully grown cayenne. He does have the use of a greenhouse. Are there any other hot chillies that might grow in that area of the world? I intend to send him various seeds if there is any reasonable chance that they will grow. Being from India originally, he would love some bhut seeds, but is doubtful they would be successful...At this point I'm just looking for educated opinions on the feasibility of growing hot chillies on Papa Stronsay.

From what I can tell, the growing season there is very similar to mine. He gets a bit more rain, but our seasons are the same length (+/-5 days) .. If he were to start his seedlings in the window in march he should be successful growing just about anything... at worst, he can overwinter the plants and get production the second year.

- he gets (on avg) 2 days of frost in June and I get 1, he gets 2 days of frost in September I get 4. He can run a florescent light above his plants in the window to give them a boost if they need it.

Edit: Although slightly irrelevant I looked up our heardyness zones and my heardyness zone is 4a his is zone 8, lol... closer to that of the southern states - I think he'll do fine.

if your looking to do Chinese or other longer season peppers the best thing that you can do is start the much earlier at least 4n to 5 month earlier, as it seems your summers are even shorter than mine

thanks your friend Joe

vYpbh.png

while his season length might be similar to mine, I get much more sun than he does way up there. Not sure what would work after all.

if your looking to do Chinese or other longer season peppers the best thing that you can do is start the much earlier at least 4n to 5 month earlier, as it seems your summers are even shorter than mine

thanks your friend Joe

PIC-1 has some very good advice. Much like I have envisioned Scotland, here in Chicago we are subject to some cold, windy, blustery temperature snaps from time to time.

There is much to be said about giving plants a good start indoors if you have a shorter season. I've been able to get my plants to a very nice level before the weather was nice and they could go outdoors. I usually plant them in 16oz party cups, and they can get to like 18"-24" easy just in that little cup.

Just time it right. You get a nice, healthy plant like that going (some may start blooming, some even setting developing pods) and then you start transitioning them outside.. they'll just go nuts and you'll be harvesting soon.

Back