• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing in glass bottles

Had an idea to grow a bonchi/ ornamental in a glass bottle (liquor, growler, etc). Thing is, I'm worried about drilling into the base, since that'll probably shatter the thing, so drainage will be nonexistent.

Since I'm new to the pepper game, I thought I'd ask you all: any tips for growing in a poorly-drained environment? Should I put rocks and sand down first? Charcoal? Anything else? All constructive thoughts welcome!

If no drainage, keep an eye on it. If it starts puddling up in the bottom, turn it over and pour it out. I do that with a scotch bonnet that doesn't have drainage holes in the pot. Don't put down charcoal or rocks, just make sure that you don't water it while it's still wet. and make sure there isn't much/any actually liquid water in it.

I did this, it didn't work. There were two problems. First the bottom of the bottle was either dry or soaked, tipping away water was a pain. Second I eventually couldn't water them from the top as the bottle neck become too laden with roots. It would take over an hour a little at a time.

The only way to do it is to have drainage holes and water from the bottom. I used a hot rod although I read online you can fill the bottle with water and put tape over teh area to drill. Either way, wear gloves and protective goggles!

I've drilled glass bottles numerous times. The diamond bit is a good idea. Ive also used a Dremel with a small grinding bit. My secret that I read somewhere was to use some putty and make a dam around the place you are drilling and put some water in the well which helps cool the spot you are drilling/grinding. You can see when you are doing this that at times the point of contact will get hot and you'll see a red glow. Back off. Go slower. That is how you break the glass. Just a constant production of dust is your indicator of progress.

Yes, diamond bits (usually for drilling into ceramic tile) will drill glass, just be VERY careful to take your time, DO NOT ADD A LOT OF PRESSURE, and let the bit do the work. If it overheats, it will crack. So you could wash it off after every few seconds, or again, just take your time and apply light pressure. This should keep the temps down enough to drill the glass - it has worked just fine for me in the past. And when you get close to the end, right as you think you've drilled almost all the way through, that is the time to be the most critically gentle. But if you can get through without cracking, you are golden!

edit: when I said to wash off every few seconds, I meant often because if you drill too long (letting the glass heat too much) and wash off with cold water, the heat differential can cause the glass to crack also. Unless you understand what I mean, I would suggest to just drill very lightly without using water.

What Moruga said.  Diamond bits are at most hardware stores.  But have another idea for you.  A few years ago, I cut wine bottles with a glass cutter designed for bottles.  The jigs are available at craft stores.  Instead of cutting off the tops, making a cup looking thing, I cut off the bottoms making a funnel looking thing.  Made hanging baskets with hemp and free standing holders with metal.  Planted chicks n hens and sold the crap out of them at craft shows.

If you are lucky, you can find a place to buy the gallon jugs empty.  If not, even regular wine bottles will have enough room for some good growth.  If you ask your friends to save bottles for you, put a time limit on it cause damn your friends drink a lot.  Well, mine do.

What Moruga said.  Diamond bits are at most hardware stores.  But have another idea for you.  A few years ago, I cut wine bottles with a glass cutter designed for bottles.  The jigs are available at craft stores.  Instead of cutting off the tops, making a cup looking thing, I cut off the bottoms making a funnel looking thing.  Made hanging baskets with hemp and free standing holders with metal.  Planted chicks n hens and sold the crap out of them at craft shows./quote]

Ajdrew, have you got any photos? I think I follow, but want to make sure I'm on the same page. Thanks!

Back