• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing In India

Hello Everyone,

I plan on growing Trinidad Scorpions in India next month onwards. I have a few questions and was would really appreciate if someone here could help a newbie out!! so here goes:

1. I plan on germinating in december in India. The average daytime high is around 84 degrees for december, and the low is around 50 degrees at night. Similarly, the averages high for january is around 80 degrees with lows around the 50s again. My question here is, would it be ok if i germinated indoors on a window sill and then transplanted out into the soil by say february when the average high will be around 87 and lows in the low 60's?

2. The summer months in India, march, April and May see the average day temperatures rise to an average of 98 degrees and night temperatures around 68 degrees. I am assuming i would need to provide my plants with some sort of shade cloth at the peak of summer. again, is that correct or do they not need that?

3. July onward we get the monsoons in india. I was wondering if having moderate to heavy rainfall and cloud cover for a week at a time might cause any major issues like splitting on the pods ( i imagine, i would have some by this point). is this correct? how can i avoid this in plants that are planted into the ground directly other than having soil that drains well?

I have had some experience growing Bhuts in india but that was purely a have seed throw seed and hope for the best effort that resulted in a lot of peppers. I actually want to grow the morugas with a lot more effort on my part.

I really do appreciate any help that you guys can give me with tips and ideas!!

For germinating the plants indoors, that's not a bad idea at all, since the seedlings do enjoy consistency when they start out. After a few weeks, around the time frame you're looking, start taking them out for a few hours a day so that they get used to it. Pepper plants do prefer direct tropical sun, so even the sun in India in the height of the summer months shouldn't be a problem at all, and the night-time temps then seem to be good.

As far as the monsoon season, the plants do prefer the soil to be somewhat more dry, but as long as the soil isn't soggy and muddy, they they'll have no problems with it. Do watch for fungus on the plants, since that will likely be the biggest issue.

Hope this helps :)

For germinating the plants indoors, that's not a bad idea at all, since the seedlings do enjoy consistency when they start out. After a few weeks, around the time frame you're looking, start taking them out for a few hours a day so that they get used to it. Pepper plants do prefer direct tropical sun, so even the sun in India in the height of the summer months shouldn't be a problem at all, and the night-time temps then seem to be good.

As far as the monsoon season, the plants do prefer the soil to be somewhat more dry, but as long as the soil isn't soggy and muddy, they they'll have no problems with it. Do watch for fungus on the plants, since that will likely be the biggest issue.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks cappy ( i assume you are the cappy people here refer to!!), that definitely helps. my main concern was the peppers turning to crap when the monsoon hits. i have 6 full months before that really happens if all works well.

One and the same :)

And as long as you keep an eye on the plants and take good care of them, you should be OK

except for the monsoons, climate sounds alot like Houston.
i used a shade cloth for the first time this year, and i can tell you that it makes a huge difference. they still wilt in the dead of summer, but not nearly as bad.

thanks queequeg. the climate is a lot like Houston for sure. the monsoons dont really show up till the end of july at times but we definitely get thundershowers in the evening on most days in june.

im going to start placing my plants ontop of those skinny 4" wide cinder blocks so can capture and measure the ec of my runoff.
might not be a bad idea in your case from a drainage standpoint. that is if you choose to go with containers in the first place.

I take it that you plan to till up a bed for them and not plant them in containers, I would think about tilling in some sandy gravel into the soil which will help drain out excess water during the rainy months along with getting some shade cloth or dark netting to help shade the plants.
the netting will also help deflect some of the rain. Unless you plan to grow a large amount of pepper plants, you might want to think about using 5 gallon buckets to grow your peppers in that way you can move the plants if you have too, depending on weather or insect problems.

i wonder if it would be beneficial to build a raised garden with good drainage to ward off monsoon damage?

good luck in india, that is one country i would love to visit.
Well you should visit!!! i was actually thinking of planting straight into the ground as the place i would be planting on is on an incline and hence the water should run off.
im going to start placing my plants ontop of those skinny 4" wide cinder blocks so can capture and measure the ec of my runoff.
might not be a bad idea in your case from a drainage standpoint. that is if you choose to go with containers in the first place.
containers might work but i think it might be much simpler if i planted straight into the ground. thanks for the advice though, it never hurts to try new things. maybe i cold do both.

I take it that you plan to till up a bed for them and not plant them in containers, I would think about tilling in some sandy gravel into the soil which will help drain out excess water during the rainy months along with getting some shade cloth or dark netting to help shade the plants.
the netting will also help deflect some of the rain. Unless you plan to grow a large amount of pepper plants, you might want to think about using 5 gallon buckets to grow your peppers in that way you can move the plants if you have too, depending on weather or insect problems.
yes, that is how i intend doing it. The actual soil in the area I intend planting in is actually quite "rocky". I would be adding compost to it to bring it up to speed, if you will. The more I read other threads on this forum though the more i feel that 5 gallon pots might be the way to go. Till the last post by queeqeg, I was considering doing both, but now I might just got with 5 gallon pots for the whole thing. I plan on germinating around 30 moruga scorpion seeds and 30 Bhut seeds at the same time.
The other aspect is the fact that the monsoons dont really hit with full force till say mid july. Before that, you get massive thunderstorms that will clear up in an hour or so. That effectively would give me 7 full months to grow and harvest assuming i get some of them to bear fruit. I know the bhuts i "grew" in the past were done and dusted in 7 months total. wonder if the morugas have a similar timeframe.

I started growing peppers in Goa and I have some question about growing.
My first question is about light.
My greenhouse is covered with a material that transmits 10% of the ultraviolet light. The morning sun does not enter the greenhouse. My plants Pimenta da Nyde are not purple, but green.

In the photo 9 a.m.
photo_2020-12-06_06-53-25.jpg

My second question is about watering.

I plant plants in pre-dug holes. Recently, a dam was erected downstream of our river, thereby the groundwater rose, because of this, the holes were filled with water by 1/4 of their volume. The water will go away in 10-15 days
photo_2020-12-06_07-05-43.jpg

At the bottom of the hole, I pour coco peat, fill the remaining volume with humus.
photo_2020-12-06_07-09-49.jpg

After planting, the bed looks like this. In the photo Pimenta da Nyde, you can see that the lower leaves are still slightly purple, and the new ones are green. Before planting, I grew seedlings under lamps and the leaves were purple.
photo_2020-12-06_07-13-10.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga before landing was low, then began to stretch. The internodes are long. 
photo_2020-12-06_07-17-59.jpg

Can you advise what can be done with the light? Add ultraviolet lamps?
Why doesn't pimenta da nyade produce purple leaves?
Why does pimenta da nyade not give purple leaves, will it affect the seeds?

Any wishes or advice

I'm not an expert, but those holes full of water just don't look right to me. The roots need to breathe, man.

Edit: How the heck did you dig up an 8 year old post and .. you know, nevermind. lol

Kramer said:
I'm not an expert, but those holes full of water just don't look right to me. The roots need to breathe, man.

Edit: How the heck did you dig up an 8 year old post and .. you know, nevermind. lol

The water is at the very bottom, about 40 cm.

Now there is no water in the holes at all, but the ground is very wet.

I will continue my story about growing in India.

My first mistake was that I started growing peppers in a rice field. The next thing is that I put a mesh over the plants that only allows 10% of UV light to pass through. And the third mistake was that I chose a very shady place, there is almost no morning sun.

As a result, the ground is very damp, the air is very humid, and there are problems with fungus. The Caroline Reaper blooms very poorly, the plants are very elongated up to 1.6 meters (are there any preparations that would make the plant bloom?) I have gained a lot of valuable experience with growing in humid and hot conditions. 

The main question for me in this situation is how to make the Carolina Reaper bloom.

I am not complaining, I want to share a not entirely successful experience. I will be glad to advice and tips.

Very long internodes. This is due to excessive humidity and possibly a small amount of ultraviolet radiation. Correct me if this is not the case.
photo_2021-01-06_09-02-38.jpg

In this photo, the Carolina Reaper is stretched out to 1.6 meters.

photo_2021-01-06_09-02-51.jpg

The plants below are planted later and in less moist soil. 

As I wrote earlier, the soil is clayey. I dig holes 40-50 cm deep and pour coconut substrate on the bottom. I cover it with earth (I mix the substrate of the worm with the substrate of coconut in a ratio of 1 to 1)

photo_2021-01-06_09-03-40.jpg

Comparing to those photos from a month ago, it looks like the plants are growing fine to me! The only thing I can think of is that you'll need to be adding support pretty soon.

Back